Cotton String Around Cake

Decorating By aprilfromLa Updated 4 Oct 2015 , 7:37pm by -K8memphis

aprilfromLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilfromLa Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 7

I am not a pro. Just like doing cakes for family and friends out of hobby.  So my cousin asked me to make a really simple cake for my aunt's birthday this coming weekend. My aunt loves to catch blue crabs. We live in south louisiana so this is something that We do for recreation. Our favorite method is tying raw meat on the end of a thick cotton or nylon string and scooping the blue crabs up with a dip net. My cousin wants me to put this plastic crab that I haven't seen yet on top of a sheet cake. I was thinking of wraping the sides of the cake with the string and ending it in the crabs claw. Told you it was a really simple design. Now I'm worried about having the string touch the buttercream icing. Of course I would wash the string and then dry it. Should that be safe enough?  Tia 

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 7

for a paid cake for the general public i would not do it -- for family i would -- few cotton strands never hurt any of my bunch --

in fact if i was in a good mood -- rare -- i would consider waxing it to use for a client but it might change the color and so that thought would ruin the mood so no not for the public either -- but it would be possible if it stayed white but why bother kwim -- using white wax would fix that but no too much trouble

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 4 Oct 2015 , 4:50pm
aprilfromLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilfromLa Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much. The string is actually an off white. It doesn't matter what color it turns out because we can use a variety of colors to crab with. Waxing it would be a good idea. Sounds easy enough. I was just worried if there were any chemicals in the string.

Where would I get this wax at?  What's it called?  I'm trying to find the easiest way out because I have not been feeling well and just not in the mood to be creative. But this aunt is my godmother and I would do anything for her as she has done for me.  Thank you again. 

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 7

Paraffin wax is used for canning. Can usually be found at grocery stores or  WalMart  .

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 7

If you have a fondant  press or however they are called you can make the strings out of blue fondant in the thickness you need it. I love those little things since I'm a lazy one laughing.png

getonthemove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getonthemove Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 7

Butcher's twine is 100% cotton and food safe.  It is really inexpensive and you should be able to find it at any grocery store.  It is used to tie roasts and turkeys up to cook in the oven so it should be safe against your cake and I can't say I have ever noticed it shedding.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 7

getonthemove for the win honorable mention to lcubed and julia and get well wished to aprilfromla

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 4 Oct 2015 , 7:37pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%