Stabilizing Crumbling Ri Plaques?

Decorating By kbochick Updated 2 Oct 2015 , 2:45am by sweettooth101

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 2

So, I have a wedding on Saturday (it's now Thursday) with 200 cupcakes. I made RI plaques for decoration, they're all done. But, they're falling apart. I've made them before with no problem, but for some reason, these are having a lot f trouble. Obviously, there was something wrong with the icing (my daughter made it for me, which she has done successfully before, but something went wrong this time). Anyway, that doesn't matter now, as I have no time to redo them. I still have a cutting cake to make for the wedding, as well as 3 dozen cookies & a cake topper to ship to my BFF for her baby's 1st birthday. I made 216 of them, but am swiftly running out of extras!

I flipped them all over yesterday and put another layer of RI on the back, but some of them are still falling apart. Is there anything else I can do to make it so they'll last for the wedding? Can I put gum glue or piping gel on the back? Should I just make a new batch of RI and put it on the back? The fronts are already outlined with edible marker & luster dusted, so I can't do anything that will mess that up.  It's also super humid here right now, and is likely to get worse, with hurricane Joaquin in the way.

I'm going to transport the cupcakes undecorated, so the plaques will be packaged together until I arrive at the venue. What do you think would be the best way to get them there? With 200+, I can't wrap them individually in bubble wrap, or anything like that. Especially since it will most likely be wet, and I'll have to have them boxed somehow.

Thanks for any help you have to offer. The bride is the daughter of one of my good friends, so I really, really don't want to mess this up.

1 reply
sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 2 Oct 2015 , 2:45am
post #2 of 2

I can't figure out why RI would crumble. At this stage with time running out the only thing I can think of is to try and freeze only one and see how it holds once you take it out. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%