Raspberry Cake Filling

Baking By Cevamal Updated 1 Oct 2015 , 4:08pm by shell3202

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 11:39am
post #1 of 6

Relative newbie here. I've been baking since I was a kid but I generally full cakes with the same frosting I use on the outside.

I'm making my daughter's cake this week. It will be (beyond buttercream) yellow cake with (SMBC) chocolate buttercream frosting and a raspberry filling.

I have a jar of really good raspberry jam to start with but I'm wondering how/if I should doctor it.

Plan A is to just put it in the mixer to loosen it up but I'm wondering if I should add anything to it? Or beat it into vanilla buttercream?

I'm sure either would be fine but I'd still love opinions.

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 11:45am
post #2 of 6

If it's really good jam I'd torte the cake and do a layer of chocolate in the very middle, then two thin layers of the jam on the top and bottom sections. I wouldn't put it into confectioner's sugar buttercream if I was going to add it to icing, but if you put it into a meringue buttercream that would work.

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 11:47am
post #3 of 6

Why not put it in the middle, too?

I'm going to follow your advice, I just want to know why. :)

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 6

Well, if you like the jam go for it and use it as a filling. Or mix it with your smbc to have a bit more creaminess inside your cake. Or make a raspberry puree reduction which I find is less artificial and sweet than jam...A bit more zingy I would say... and use it as a filling or mix with smbc (or whatever bc you use). 

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 6

One of my favorite fillings.  I sometimes fold in about 1/4 cup of raspberry jam into the cake batter also.  For the filling I generally use a layer of white chocolate ganache then a layer of raspberry jam (the seedless).  Sometimes I also use a layer of SMBC then a layer of raspberry jam.  Either way, it taste great.

shell3202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell3202 Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 6

You should really check this out:

she uses a type of blackberry but I'll bet raspberry would be amazing as well! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%