Nfsc With Real Pumpkin?

Baking By craftybanana2 Updated 3 Oct 2015 , 2:33am by craftybanana2

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out if anyone has added real pumpkin (well, canned really) to the No-Fail-Sugar-Cookie recipe on here. I want to make pumpkin cut out cookies with real pumpkin, not just the spice so wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I saw someone link to a recipe that supposedly used real pumpkin, but the link is invalid now (error 400).

Also, how would I modify an existing muffin/cupcake recipe to add canned pumpkin? The only muffin recipes I have also have fresh fruit added to them which hubby is not a fan of. I don't have a pumpkin version of my vanilla cupcakes.

7 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 12:19am
post #2 of 8

Big pumpkin fan here!  However I'm careful not to even add too much liquid extract to my NFSC, so I'd think that by adding real pumpkin what you'd end up with is a super soft delicious puffed up cookie.  Secondly I've tried the expensive pumpkin extracts and the flavor is very artificial and somewhat bitter IMO.   

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 12:20am
post #3 of 8

the only measure i have is that from the hungry girl cookbook -- she puts one 15 ounce can of pumpkin with one cake mix and nothing else and it makes these dynamite muffin brownie deals -- if you add bittersweet choco chips they are most lovely -- they bake at 400 for 20 mins -- with the smaller/lighter weight cake mix now of 15 ounces -- it makes 11 muffins --  

so using that as a guide you could put together all your dry ingredients and just add a can of pumpkin -- so as you may want to add in eggs and oil and whatever then hold back on the pumpkin --

but i don't know about cookies

-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 12:32am
post #4 of 8

wild idea -- what about a sandwich cookie with cooked down 'pumpkin-something' in the middle? a linzer cookie with a little pumpkin cut out or just pumpkin shape altogether -- all you have to do is come up with the 'pumpkin-something' if you ever even wanna try this --

i mean there's even pumpkin spice m&m's! -- that'd be great in pumpkin muffins

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 12:48am
post #5 of 8

https://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/32364/Old-Fashioned-Soft-Pumpkin-Cookies/

You got me interested in pumpkin cookies now, so had to google it!  All of the cookies are nice round puffy cookies.

This recipe looks interesting, with one cup of pumpkin that should be about one 15 oz. can of pumpkin.  I have to try these this fall.  You could do a poured fondant type of icing on these, let them dry then do some decorating, however I don't see flat pumpkin cookies in my future.

craftybanana2 Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 1:11am
post #6 of 8

Nuts, well I saw the regular cookies with pumpkin added, but wanted flat ones. I like the idea of pumpkin in the middle for a sandwich cookie! I could do a pumpkin cheesecake icing in the middle...... I bought a pumpkin cookie cutter, but it's a bit big for a sandwich cookie, but maybe doing my soft chocolate chip cookie (with pumpkin spice) and pumpkin filling would be a nice twist!

Thanks for the ideas! smile.png

Forgot to add that the muffins would be for the kiddo too (can't have dried fruit yet, still working on chewing). I'm guessing that I could add it as part of the liquid like I do when I make my veggie muffins with baby food. I'll be glad when he'll eat the veggies whole instead of pureed! He eats everything BUT food... go figure.

*Last edited by craftybanana2 on 1 Oct 2015 , 1:20am
-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 8

hey craftybtwo -- i love taste of home recipes -- i haven't tried this one myself -- just came across it and thought of you -- i mean it's not flat but it is pumpkin

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pumpkin-cookies-with-cream-cheese-frosting?trkid=zfb1015

craftybanana2 Posted 3 Oct 2015 , 2:33am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the link, what about cupcakes or muffins? The ones I'm finding seem to up the oil and eggs and are denser. Maybe that's just how it is with pumpkin? Or does anyone have a plain pumpkin cake (no chunks of fruit) recipe to share? I'm just not clear on how to do substitutions with pumpkin because the recipes I see for pumpkin muffins add more oil and eggs, but the cake mix version has you using the pumpkin to replace the oil and eggs. So I'm a little bit confused.

I might be over thinking this.... I'll do an experiment tomorrow with another recipe I have.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%