Need Major Help With Fondant

Decorating By addiesmommy9613 Updated 1 Oct 2015 , 10:42pm by addiesmommy9613

addiesmommy9613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addiesmommy9613 Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 10

I cannot get fondant to not tear when I put it on a cake.  I have used a few differant brands of fondant in the past( and made my own as well) and the only one that has never teared is wilton.  I don't like the taste of wilton and I know most people I make cakes for say the same.  But no matter what I do,  every cake I cover, tears horribly.  Maybe I roll it out to thin but if ya'll wouldn't mind could you give me a last of things that make fondant tear?  I have to cover 2 cakes in fondant next weekend and I'm scared.  I don't want to ruin them  this is one of my cakes. You can see the tearing on the side but lately they are even worse than this.  Way worse. 560c69a66d64d.jpeg

9 replies
cupcakemama3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemama3 Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 12:58am
post #2 of 10

It looks like it may be your icing technique that is under the fondant  to me. See the bulge around the top of you cake? Looks like the icing may be pushing the fondant outward causing a tear in some places.  I had that to happen once when covering a cake too soon after frosting.  Your frosting must be smooth and free of bulges. 

addiesmommy9613 Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 1:14am
post #3 of 10

Thank you.  I've never thought about that.  I use smbc and have gotten alot better in my smoothing technique since this picture but should I use a differant icing for underneath fondant?   I love the smbc but I don't want my cakes to look this way anymore.  

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 1:18am
post #4 of 10

Just keep practicing. Smbc is just fine under fondant. Do you chill it before covering? 

Also, your fondant could be too thin. If you're getting a hole like that, that's probably your problem  

cupcakemama3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemama3 Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 1:46am
post #5 of 10

I think smbc is probably fine. I see that many people use it under fondant.  I never have personally but my technique is not as good with it as American buttercream. I am with you in the taste though. Love it!

addiesmommy9613 Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 1:55am
post #6 of 10

Thank you both. I do chill it.  But I've seen some people spray water on top of the cake before applying the fondant. Should I try that too?

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 11:33am
post #7 of 10

Only if your smbc is really dry for some reason, but it's usually not necessary. Just go nice and slow. Also, don't elevate your cake tier when you cover it, if that's what you do. The weight of the excess fondant will pull and tear it as well.  Just set it on a flat surface and work that way, it'll support the weight of the fondant.

keep practicing, you'll get it. Start with thicker fondant and see if that helps you. 

great cake colors btw! 

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 10

I chill my cakes for at least 12 hours before adding the fondant. I use Macsmom recipe here on CC...glycerin makes all the difference. Sometimes, when the fondant is giving me trouble, I add 5-10% of gumpaste.

addiesmommy9613 Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you.  I actually do elevate my cakes on a turn table.  I won't and see how that works as well.  :)

addiesmommy9613 Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 10

I have to learn how much is to much with glycerin.  I'm pretty sure I ruined my daughter's birthday cake by adding to much glycerin.  It was so so soft that it tore all three tiers. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%