1St (& Only) Wedding Cake

Baking By CTgardener Updated 10 Jan 2017 , 10:51am by Cakey-Pin

CTgardener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTgardener Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 17

I would like to thank you all her for all the help I received by lurking on this blog. I am a home baker of mostly cookies and I offered to bake  the cake for my nephew's wedding. All the things I was terrified of did not happen  and the one thing I was confidant about gave me a lot of trouble. I had a lot of trouble with my baking! Something I pride my self on,  sinking cake, crumbly cake, I really had trouble and in the end when I cut the cake it was very crumbly, but there was plenty of cake  and it looked great, I want to thank Cheri Eubank of cheri's sweets for the lovely sugar flowers. Here it is very simple.560c1d1fa2910.jpeg

16 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 17

Gorgeous presentation!  Well done.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 17

Just because it was a simple design means nothing...you executed it beautifully!  Sometimes the simplest of designs are hardest to pull off because any little flaw will be really obvious!  You did an excellent job.....don't let this be your only wedding cake!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 17

it's beautiful, ctgardener --

seriously doesn't look like your first tier cake -- pretty proportions -- nice tall tiers -- the sweet contrast with the textured ribbon against the smoothy smooth iced cake then the pretty flowers sprinkled around --

great great job! i have one word for you... "more!" :)

CTgardener Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 17

Thank you for you kind comments. I would definitely need better recipes. The bottom was the double chocolate cake from Epicurious and the top two were Vanilla Buttermilk from Sky High triple layer cakes via Smitten Kitchen. The chocolate baked up wonderfully but was a bear to cut. Maybe it was to high? 3 layers about 51/2 with filling. The Vanilla was a pain to bake and cut. I even rebaked dialing back the leavening. but it had a great flavor. 

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 17

Absolutely lovely!  Your icing job is so well done!  Love those crisp top edges!  Beautiful proportions too - but if you feel it was too difficult to cut, perhaps next time (!) you could do a double-stacked cake (each 3 or 4") rather than a single, triple-layer cake?  And since your cakes seemed crumbly, perhaps the recipe could be tweeked to add a bit more liquid -like sour cream or buttermilk...

At any rate- it was absolutely lovely! 

CTgardener Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 17

Cakedout, do you mean with a cake board that is in the middle of the tier? Those recipes  both had about 1/2 cup of butter milk per cup of flour, and a lot of leavening. I used bob's red mill cake flour. I think I need to find different  recipes. 

Jeff_Arnett Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 1:24am
post #8 of 17

One thing I noticed about the recipes in the Sky High book is that the recipes with buttermilk only use baking powder…and a lot….as leavening.  Traditionally, cakes with buttermilk usually use baking soda or both baking soda and baking powder.

My vanilla cake recipe uses buttermilk and both baking powder/soda and it bakes and handles great.  Send me an email at [email protected] and I’ll send you my recipe to try.

CTgardener Posted 8 Jan 2017 , 1:32am
post #9 of 17

Jeff_Arnett,  I used your recipe  this week end for a 2 layer 15x11 sheet cake. 1 recipe per layer it was delicious  and cut like a dream. Thank You.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 8 Jan 2017 , 2:56am
post #10 of 17

Great!  Glad you found the recipe useful!

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 8 Jan 2017 , 11:51pm
post #11 of 17

Simply yet elegant!! I think you did a great job!!! Well done!!

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 9 Jan 2017 , 3:52am
post #12 of 17

Well done, such a beautiful cake! 

The vanilla buttermilk cake is my go-to for vanilla cake and always bakes up so beautifully with the most perfect crumb! Sorry you had troubles with it!

Cakey-Pin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey-Pin Posted 10 Jan 2017 , 10:15am
post #13 of 17

What do you cover your cakes with?  I always use fondant and end up with the kind of rounded edge at the top, how do you get this lovely sharp finish as on the cake in the photo?

CTgardener Posted 10 Jan 2017 , 10:41am
post #14 of 17

I use a hybrid butter cream. I use one recipe of Extra Special Butter Cream that can be found on Cake Central, and 1 1/2 recipe of Summer Stone's Easy Foolproof Swiss Meringue Buttercream. Beaten together well. I fill and crumb coat it frozen then it goes back into the fridge. When that sets I top coat it and get it pretty smooth then back into the fridge. After that sets I do a final smoothing with a  big plastic putty knife or a steel bench scraper. I also will use a a off set spatula that I heat in hot water and dry off to  get that edge. I just bake for family so I am not on a production schedule.

Cakey-Pin Posted 10 Jan 2017 , 10:44am
post #15 of 17

Brilliant, thank you so much!  I'm definitely going to try that.  I've always been jealous of the lovely sharp edges like that. 

Thanks again and your cake was gorgeous.

CTgardener Posted 10 Jan 2017 , 10:46am
post #16 of 17

And that cake sat in a tent outside on 75+ day for 8 hours.

Cakey-Pin Posted 10 Jan 2017 , 10:51am
post #17 of 17

That's impressive!  I can't wait to try it, the finish looks fantastic. 

I live in Scotland so I don't need to worry about the heat, it's about 6 degrees here today and that's practically tropical for me ;p

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%