Wire Too Small On Gumpaste Flowers

Sugar Work By happy102 Updated 30 Sep 2015 , 4:02pm by Callicious

happy102 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy102 Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 7:06am
post #1 of 6

I spent a lot of time making some really pretty lilies but when I got ready to put them together I realized that the wires I used were too small and cannot support the petal.  Is there any way I can correct this.  I don't have enough time to start over.

5 replies
Callicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callicious Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 8:08am
post #2 of 6

When I first started doing flowers, (and I'm no expert ) I had this happen. I extended each wire by taping another thin wire to it ... Then you can tape the petals together. Be careful to tape with thin tape, you can strip it down with scissors or a tape cutter if you have one. Needs to be thin so it doesn't give you too thick a stem once all taped together. 

Ive since learnt to not cut my wires too short as easier to cut afterwards if too long xx

happy102 Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 1:23am
post #3 of 6

my wire is not too short.  It is too weak to hold the flower in position.  I tried to attach another wire to it but I was unable to attach it close enough to get the support I need

thanks for any help

Callicious Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 7:14am
post #4 of 6

Ahhh, sorry, i read it as wrong. Not sure what to suggest except strengthening the wires with tape as another option, or trying to get the added wire as closeup to the top of the flower (petal) as possible. Starting again is possibly your only option, but as you say you've not got time to start again. So not sure what to  suggest, perhaps others with more experience with flowers, might be able to suggest something for you. 

happy102 Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for your reply.  I moved the wires up a little farther and you can see the tip of them but it is better than starting over.  Next time I will be more careful.  Live and learn!

Callicious Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 6

Ahhh, shame hon... Yes, we all learn from our mistakes, that's how we grow and gain experience. Xx perhaps arrange them in such a way you cannot see the wires showing xx 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%