Black Fondant - Will This Idea Work

Decorating By Anitakotze Updated 29 Sep 2015 , 5:29pm by Happyfood

Anitakotze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anitakotze Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 2:09am
post #1 of 8

Hi, making cake for friend's son (playstation). Wonder if it will work if if I cover the cake with a sheet of edible "paper" before covering in black fondant? Will this make it possible to remove the black fondant before slicing and eating? Trying to avoid black teeth... Might keep piping bag with buttercream on hand to pipe on pieces after removing fondant...

Thoughts? Thanks Anita

7 replies
craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 2:26am
post #2 of 8

Typically you can peel the fondant off the slices, just put a nice layer of icing between the cake and fondant. When my brother had his wedding, me and hubby just peeled the fondant off (we don't like the taste of it). Was easy to do.

Pipe on buttercream afterwards? Were you not going to have a layer of buttercream between the layers anyway?

*Last edited by craftybanana2 on 28 Sep 2015 , 2:28am
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 4:06am
post #3 of 8

Or, make this Playstation:

5608bcb4d4877.jpegPlaystation

Anitakotze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anitakotze Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 6:36am
post #4 of 8

GO  GREY ! Good idea...except it wont look like HIS PS,  but good option.  

Craftybanana,  yes, i did intend putting buttercream underneath, but thought i would remove the fondant after everyone has oohed and ahed (hopefully) and as it will look a bit messy, just pipe a bit more on the pieces once sliced to make it a bit prettier.

Callicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callicious Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 11:48am
post #5 of 8

I airbrush  black onto a cake covered in white fondant. I use less black that way. In the past I used purchased black fondant that's passed the food health standards. Then I advise the client that once the cake is sliced, to peel off the black fondant as it does not add to the taste to a very nice cake inside that I've baked. I also don't think highly coloured fondants are good for tum tums, especially kids... So far, the clients have all been happy with my suggestions. But then, I've not been in the industry long, 5 years, so people with more experience will have good advise for you. I've certainly learnt something from the above thread, thank you :) 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 11:53am
post #6 of 8

edible paper (I assume you mean wafer paper) will absorb moisture and turn into a gluey mess, you won't be able to peel it off.

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 8

I would just tell everyone that they can peel the fondant off of their own slice if they wish. Much easier and less mess.

Happyfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happyfood Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 8

I use a nice layer of buttercream under my fondant and a lot of people just sort of push the fondant out of the way with the sides of their forks as they eat the cake and buttercream. No real need to peel the cake before serving.

Have you mentioned the black fondant situation to the mother of the boy?  Honestly, I have yet to meet a boy that would not view an oddly colored set of teeth as anything other than an added bonus to go with their cake.  :)

*Last edited by Happyfood on 29 Sep 2015 , 5:29pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%