Silk Flowers - Safe To Use On A Cake???

Decorating By Hoosier Mama Updated 28 Sep 2015 , 12:34am by Hoosier Mama

Hoosier Mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hoosier Mama Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 7

I've used silk flowers on cake dummies, but I have reservations about using them on a real cake due to the cleanliness of the silk flowers.  You don't know how they have been handled or how clean they are, so I wouldn't want them to come into direct contact with a buttercream or fondant cake.  Is there a way the underside or other parts that will be touching the cake they can be coated with something food safe?  

*Last edited by Hoosier Mama on 27 Sep 2015 , 4:19pm
6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 7

is there any way they could be washed?

Hoosier Mama Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 7

Even if they were washed, they're not made from food-safe materials, so they shouldn't be touching the cake.  I was thinking there was something I could spray or coat on the back side that would be food-safe.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 7

Paint them with melted white chocolate, and when it cools off it will make a little barrier between the flower and the cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 7

if you are that sensitive to them not being safe why try so hard to use them anyway -- putting melted choco is a great idea but what if someone eats that -- i mean non-edibles should not be on our food i guess -- wouldn't put them on our mashed potatoes right -- but i don't think a washed plastic stem is toxic unless there's a wire in there -- or the coloring in the material is unsafe -- so if you are that sensitive i don't know how you could still use them --

you could still put the plastic stem into a plastic drinking straw and insert that -- could coat with costumeczar's melted choco first -- bam

edited to say but the chocolate could crack off and be ingested -- i would wash them off -- be sure there's no dust on them and use them in the same sense as we use other plastics and toys on cakes -- you could also coat them with a soy wax but flowers are easy to do in gum paste too or place them between tiers not on the cake

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 27 Sep 2015 , 9:30pm
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 7

A very popular franchise cake company, Nothing Bundt Cakes, uses tissue paper pom-poms and silk flowers directing on top of their bundt cakes all the time.   Just google, Nothing Bundt Cakes and then click on images.

Personally, I don't see a problem as long as the silk flowers are clean.

Hoosier Mama Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 12:34am
post #7 of 7

That is a good idea, coating the flowers and putting the stem in a straw seems to be the way to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%