Fondarific

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 26 Sep 2015 , 10:55am by Callicious

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 10

Hey bakers! I used Fondarific for the first time on one of my recent cakes (the rainbow castle cake in my gallery)...it was an absolute dream to work with and it tastes fantastic. I was obsessed with it, until I went to cut the cake the next day (it was my daughter's birthday cake). I'd refrigerated the cake overnight, although when I cut the cake it had been out several hours and was back to room temperature. The fondant had dried and trying to cut through it completely destroyed the cake! Everyone got a pile of cake rather than a slice of cake :( Has this happened to anyone else with Fondarific? I want to continue using it because of how easy it was to work with, but after this experience I'm nervous using it for my orders!

9 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 10

I never refrigerate my cakes after I fondant.  Try to leave out at room temperature and see if it does fine.

annakat444 Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 10

Hm, ok. But I know there are people who do refrigerate cakes covered in fondant. I never leave my cakes out overnight.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 1:00am
post #4 of 10

Fondarific is not like other fondants.  It's candy melt based, so it's got many times more fat in it--that's why you need to nuke it for a few seconds before you can knead it and roll it out.  By refrigerating it, the fats hardened up and sort of congealed--the fondant was acting like a candy shell.  Short of sitting the cake somewhere warm before serving it, there wasn't much that could be done.  Now, if it's rolled pretty thinly, it can still be cut when it's cold/hardened, but if it's thick, it's tough.

There's no need to refrigerate a cake unless the filling or icing isn't shelf stable.  If a cake must be refrigerated, then using Fondarific for it's covering may not be the best option.

annakat444 Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 1:58am
post #5 of 10

I figured the cocoa butter in it had something to do with it, but I don't understand why it would still be so hard since it was back to room temperature. If it had still been cold then it'd make sense, but it was room temp.

Callicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callicious Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 9:01am
post #6 of 10

Interesting topic and conversation, I'm learning here too. I've not yet used fondarific, but I've not put a fondant cake in fridge since I once did in my early days of decorating and found it to sweat terribly and didn't cut well either after it dried out (stopped sweating). 

So now, after I've covered, and room not cool, I use a fan to keep room chilled. The cake is boxed and dies not dry out 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 11:20am
post #7 of 10

Fondarific has candy clay in it, like @maybenot  said. If you're covering a cake with it I'd roll it out thinner than you usually do, and it should be fine because it has more of a stretch than regular fondant.When it gets cold it will harden up more than a regular fondant, and it probably wouldn't soften back up as much as you think. How thick was it rolled out on the cake? If you put it on thin enough that's probably going to be all you need to do. It's definitely nice to work with.

annakat444 Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 10

Costumeczar, that might have been the problem- I probably rolled it a little too thick. It seems like I always roll it either too thin and it tears when I put it on the cake so I try to avoid that by rolling it too thick

annakat444 Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 10

Callicious, you can avoid condensation by keeping the cake in a box while its in the fridge. The condensation will form on the box instead of the cake when you bring it out :)

Callicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callicious Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 10:55am
post #10 of 10

Thanks for that tip annakat xx 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%