Fondant Decorations - Help

Decorating By shernandez Updated 25 Sep 2015 , 1:06am by shernandez

shernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shernandez Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 6

I am brand new to cake decorating and need some advice on placing some fondant decorations. I am making a paint splatter cake for a friends daughters birthday party. This is my first decorative cake and I have been able to get a lot of info online. I made my paint splatter decorations in advance so they would be dry in time. And had the realization last night that I placed my decorations flat to dry, and my cake is round (10"). The party is this Saturday. I am hoping I don't have to remake all of the paint splatters (I traced them by hand, no time to order a cutter). Will the decorations soften a bit with the buttercream & mold to the cake? Should i place the splatters on friday night so they have more time to absorb the buttercream?  Can I rub some shortening on the back to help soften them for molding to the side of the cake? Also read something about placing on a cup to shape, but  m not sure that can be done now that they're dry. (Not sure if these things work, just things I've read online). Any suggestions/advice on how to fix is much appreciated! 

5 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 6

You can soften fondant in the microwave.  Perhaps a couple of seconds at a time until they are just bendable to place on the buttercream.  Make sure that you refrigerate the cake so that the buttercream is sturdy enough to place the fondant decorations.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 6

Next time, there's no need for the fondant decos to dry.  Just cut 'em out and slap them on the cake.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 6

Cover the back with shortening and put them in a closed zip-loc bag. Make sure it's air-tight. You'll be surprised how quickly they start to soften up.

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 6

Brush some rejuvenator spirit on their back and hey presto! they will soften enough to bend them a bit.

shernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shernandez Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 1:06am
post #6 of 6

Thank you for the suggestions! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%