Diabetic Order Help

Baking By SourLemonz Updated 27 Sep 2015 , 12:27am by Apti

SourLemonz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SourLemonz Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 5:03am
post #1 of 8

I am in need of a diabetic friendly cake and icing recipe. Are there any recipes for sugar free icings, that are able to be piped? Thank you.

7 replies
Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 8

Buttercream is, by definition, made almost entirely of fat and sugar. 

See the discussion in this recent thread.  There's really no such thing as a "good" cake for a diabetic person, since any kind of carbs (including flour) is broken down into sugar, and sugar plays a structural and chemical role in cake and icing, as well the taste.

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/825347/sugar-free-buttercream

*Last edited by Magda_MI on 24 Sep 2015 , 10:44pm
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 8

SourLemonz ~~ Short answer, No.  (See the link provided by Magda_MI above). 

My solution for diabetic family/friends is not to make a cake at all.  I will buy an Angel Food Cake.   Keep the wrapper with information about the carbohydrates per serving, and, very carefully, pre-cut the cake into EXACTLY the amount of servings listed on the packaging.  I also cut some of those servings in half (a half serving contains half the carbs....) in case the diabetic person can only have a small number of carbs.

You can top the serving with fresh berries and a squirt of canned whipped cream.  You can also make a lemon faux glaze with splenda and fresh or lemon extract juice and drizzle on top before  you add the berries.   You can add fresh mint leaves to enhance the presentation.  It looks very festive and you are able to provide an EXACT carb count for each serving or 1/2 serving.

(Example:  3.5 oz. of strawberries is 8 carbs.  Most berries’ carb count is within the range of 5-12g net carbs per 100g/3.5 oz.)

*Last edited by Apti on 24 Sep 2015 , 11:58pm
smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 8

if you have cake in moderation like a very small piece it wont jump up your sugar that much look for cakes made with apple sauce no sugar added rather than splenda as for the frosting i would go with a whipped cream frosting unsweetened with just a tad of powder sugar like a pinch or to  

im a diabetic and when i crave something sweet like some cake i take a small serving amount and i use whipped cream and some berries on top 

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 8

you could also get some of those sugar free packages of  instant mouse that are in the baking aisle you could use that as your filling 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 8

I make this icing for my self sometime...not really a decorators icing, but if you are diabetic you have to learn to make compromises.....

1 container sugar-free Cool Whip

1 box sugar free instant pudding

3/4 to 1 cup low-fat milk

4 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature  (optional)

If using cream cheese, blend the pudding mix and cream cheese until smooth, then add the milk.  Mix on medium for about a minute until smooth,  Gently fold in the Cool-Whip.  Refrigerate the iced cake.

If not using cream cheese, just blend the pudding mix and milk, then fold in the Cool Whip.

*Last edited by Jeff_Arnett on 25 Sep 2015 , 1:49pm
Happyfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happyfood Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 12:07am
post #7 of 8

The diabetic threads are appreciated by people who are trying to figure this all out (me being one of them).  There is so much more to it than "sugar free"!  

@ Apti, I loved your smoker's analogy on the other thread. :)

*Last edited by Happyfood on 27 Sep 2015 , 12:07am
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 12:27am
post #8 of 8

Happyfood~~Yes, diabetes is a bit*h.  I wish you well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%