Grecian Wedding Cake Sugar Leaves

Sugar Work By bbstephan Updated 22 Sep 2015 , 3:41pm by -K8memphis

bbstephan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbstephan Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 12:11am
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to charge to make the leaves for these two cake tiers? She is purchasing the case elsewhere- they won't do the flowers, and I work full time and can't make the cake. They are easy to make but labor intensive. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks! This is the cake design: http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/sites/files/marthastewartweddings.com/styles/img_360x450/public/d33/mwd104972_fall09_greccake_032comp/mwd104972_fall09_greccake_032comp_hd.jpg?itok=TGLD9pxi

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 5

make some aluminum foil formers* to lay the leaves on so they dry natural looking -- buy some fondant -- knead in some cornstarch and some flavor oil -- roll it out like pie dough -- cut out the leaves -- imprint them with veins if your not using a plunger cutter with imprint -- toss a handful on a soft board roll out the edges with a roller tool or your finger -- place them on the formers --

it's not that big a deal at all -- it's not as labor intensive as it might be a never before attempted project -- think about cutting out 200 sugar cookies and you don't have to bake them or anything --

*flower formers -- take a piece of aluminum foil and make accordion pleats in it -- then unfold it so you have long slots -- maybe run your finger over the folds to soften them a touch making peaks and valleys to lay the leaves -- 

when they have set up a bit lay them around the bottom of the cake pan for the bottom tier and around a cake pan the size of the other tier so they dry to comply with a rounded base --

you got this

-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 5

i mean i said roll it out like pie crust -- but in a huge sheet and work quickly but keep part of it covered by plastic wrap (press & seal is nice) if you see it drying out -- and you need to roll it thinner than pie crust too

bbstephan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbstephan Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 5

What would be appropriate to charge?  I need to purchase the materials and make approx. 250 leaves plus paint them and attach to a rim  10" and 14" tiers.

-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 5

fifty bucks maybe idk -- $30 - $50  plus materials?

i would not attach to a rim -- to do that i would use silk leaves and i would not want to put that on a cake -- these need to be attached individually imo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%