Help Please, Balloons.

Decorating By SPODN Updated 20 Sep 2015 , 10:12pm by -K8memphis

SPODN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPODN Posted 20 Sep 2015 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 5

I've been trying for weeks now to make gelatine bubbles. I've followed all the instructions I can find and still no success. I just can't get the balloons to release from the bubbles. I only need a few, I want to use them as balloons in the hands of an owl on my granddaughters bday cake. but it just isn't working for me. One tutorial the woman said to grease the balloons slightly then wipe it off. I tried that but all that did was prevent the geletine from sticking to the ballons. Does anyone have any secrets you can share with me. Or a different way to make balloons othere than an big heavy lump of fondant, only have one week left.

4 replies
Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 20 Sep 2015 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 5

How about you make the balloons out of rice crispies with melted marshmallow (don't use your best pot! It will get ruined!) and then cover with fondant or better still dip in melted chocolate? I have never attempted this and do not know the method you are trying to use (a link to it would have been useful). Hope this idea helps. All the best!

hobbist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbist Posted 20 Sep 2015 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 5

I have made gelatin bubble before.  It took three or four coats to each one.  I  let each coat dry a couple of hours.  Mine were not balloon shaped. They were rounded , not tapered like a balloon.  They were open ended .  The ends were put on the cake so that the round part was facing up and the ends didn't show.  I don't know how to do a complete shape with gelatin other than a mold.  Sorry

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 20 Sep 2015 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 5

There is a great tutorial on youtube from hodge potch Australia called gelatin bubbles - how to. She's using waterbballoons which are very thin and release easier. 

Otherwise you could try sugar bubbles but that's more complicated.  Bring 3 cups caster sugar and 0.5 cups water to the boil and add half tsp cream if tartar. Stir until incorporated and then NO MORE. Wash down sides of pot with warm water and cooking brush for 3 or 4 times during the process. When mix reaches 297F pour onto slightly greased cookie sheet. When cool enough to handle tear off a walnut sized piece, stick it to the end of a metal tube and blow. Twist and melt ends shut with torch. Cut excess off. Be aware that storage is difficult as they absorb moisture and get sticky.  Best to be used immediately. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Sep 2015 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 5

here's an alternate idea -- perhaps you would want to try some boiled sugar candy if the gelatin won't cooperate -- you would need to improvise a bit from the icicle formation but just twist the end and you're there -- to attach you would need to wrap a wire around it like a real balloon and affix that into a foam under the cake -- you could cover the wire with a pretty ribbon -- just a thought -- if you try it have first aid ready it burns like fire if you (like most everyone who uses boiled sugar) get burned --

best to you

oh forgot the link 

http://www.lorannoils.com/recipes/icicle-candy

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 20 Sep 2015 , 10:12pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%