Cupcake Swirls

Decorating By SugarLydia Updated 20 Sep 2015 , 11:02pm by Magda_MI

SugarLydia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLydia Posted 20 Sep 2015 , 2:42am
post #1 of 7

Has anyone here ever tried any cupcake decorators (as in the squeeze type devices)? 

Of course the old tried and true pastry bag with a large tip works fine, but I'd like to know if anybody has had any success with things like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003B3OK9A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=34KA91FW9LTOZ&coliid=I3EUTMEARN2GUG&psc=1

6 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Sep 2015 , 3:02am
post #2 of 7

A friend gave me something like that and they work fine but loading them is a pain as well as cleaning.  It's gadgety but a pastry bag is far superior as far as ease in loading as well as use.  The contraptions take some getting use to.  A pastry bag and frosting bullet is the way to go!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 20 Sep 2015 , 7:10am
post #3 of 7

I'm with @Pastrybaglady  

"" a pastry bag is far superior as far as ease in loading as well as use.  The contraptions take some getting use to.  A pastry bag and frosting bullet is the way to go.""

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 20 Sep 2015 , 7:46am
post #4 of 7

I tried a smaller less expensive version of that a few years ago thinking it was easier to use. For me it wasn't and like @Pastrybaglady  said what a pain to clean. I'm not sure if I used it wrong or what but now that I bake (not just for hobby anymore) only bags and frosting bullets for me....I've never heard them called frosting bullets before makes baking sound tough lol 

SugarLydia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLydia Posted 20 Sep 2015 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks guys! I will just stick with my good ole pastry bag :)

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 20 Sep 2015 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 7

Frosting bullets.  After 5 years of hobby baking, I avoid nearly all gadgets--just one more thing to "find", put out for mise en place preparation, clean , wash, store, and find again the next time.  I especially avoid gadgets that have multiple parts!

I use 12" bags because they are the least expensive overall when purchased with craft store 50% coupons.  I use the larger, reusable, 18" bags when I'm doing a ton of cupcakes  with lots of 1M swirls.  For the 18" bags, I either make bigger plastic bullets or just fill the bag as-is.  The nice thing with the American Buttercream (I use Bunnywoman's Mock Shack with both real butter and hi ratio shortening) is that you can make a LOT and freeze excess for later use.  You can also pre-color before freezing and place in frosting bullet form.  Super quick to defrost and use next time.

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 20 Sep 2015 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 7

I think they're aimed more at people who don't known how to use or control a bag for piping.  My mom used to have an old metal one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%