Sunny Side Bakery Lace Mats

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 18 Nov 2016 , 1:52am by -K8memphis

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Sep 2015 , 2:41am
post #1 of 82

I was picking up a few supplies at Hobby Lobby this evening and noticed several new products in their Sunny Side Bakery line....including several new silicone spreadable lace mats. I bought a really pretty one, about 15 inches x 3 3/4 inches for only $6.99...and with a 40% off weekly coupon, got it for nearly nothing!

I really didn't pay much attention to everything they had, but when I got home I read that they also now have a spreadable lace mix....might be a cheap way for some folks to try out spreadable laces....I've been using them about three years now and love them!

*Last edited by Jeff_Arnett on 20 Sep 2015 , 2:41am
81 replies
Luna85moon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luna85moon Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 82

Hi, how did you like your mold?, I just got mine yesterday and some mix too, so I'll be trying it for the first time but I haven't tried other brands so I can't compare them, thank you 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 82

this is great news -- thanks for posting

Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 82

I haven't tried it yet and I didn't buy their mix either...I will be trying it on a small wedding cake in a couple weeks using Sugar Dress mix...I'll post my thoughts on it.  I've bought several other mold from sites lite Etsy that weren't name brand makes and they've worked fine too!

chelledbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelledbelle Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 2:36am
post #5 of 82

Have you tried the lace mix yet? I'm anxious to hear how it worked out for you. blush.png

Jeff_Arnett Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 11:36am
post #6 of 82

No, I didn't buy the lace mix....the day I bought the mat they didn't have any.  I'm a big Sugar Dress fan, but will try it and compare the two next time at Hobby Lobby.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 82

I'm from Canada, about 45-50 minutes from Niagara Falls NY, where I've often gone to Hobby Lobby/Michael's. There's many products there I can't get At Michael's here. And there's no Hobby Lobby here at all. I was excited to read this thread, so I went on  the Hobby Lobby website, N F and Buffalo store. I searched through all the Sunny Side Bakery products, and no spreadable lace came up.  Tried a search on the site....nope, nothing, zip. Perhaps it's only sold at specific Hobby Lobby locations??  I'm disappointed.....was so hoping I could hop over the border and pick some up...  

Jeff_Arnett Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 1:17am
post #8 of 82

My Hobby Lobby here in Kentucky just got them a few weeks ago, so maybe they haven't been distributed chain wide yet.....maybe check back in a few weeks.

jchuck Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 2:38am
post #9 of 82

Ahhh  Ok. Will do. Thanks 

chelledbelle Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 3:02am
post #10 of 82

Okay. Well, I bought the mix because it was the last tub. I actually have NEVER made lace before but I have a cake coming up soon that would look fantastic with black lace. I do have a contingency design in case this mix is a bust. I'm not going to use it for a couple more weeks but I will let you know how it goes. Just keep in mind, I have no experience to compare it with. smirk.png

-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 11:47am
post #11 of 82

i haven't used it but i asked global sugar art i think it was -- about adding food color to it and they said it can throw off the formula -- i was advised to color it after it's made so there's that -- airbrushed or powdered after was what they advised

chelledbelle Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 2:30pm
post #12 of 82

I wondered about that. Thanks for the heads up! 

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 2:36am
post #13 of 82

I bought the mix and the lace mold a week ago at Hobby Lobby and finally used it today.  It is AMAZING!!!! It was so easy and the lace is beautiful!  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this stuff!   I've never used Sugar Veil or any of the other over priced items that are similar, and now that this stuff is available, I will never have to! 5625a8bd6c1a3.jpeg 

shellybbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellybbear Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 10:26am
post #14 of 82

Thanks for this great info. Looks like a trip to Hobby Lobby is in my near future.  I have been wanting to try the lace, but felt it was a little expensive. 

CakeBlessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBlessed Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 1:53pm
post #15 of 82

Thank you so much for posting those pictures! Gorgeous! Our local Hobby Lobby recently started carrying supplies for lace but I havent purchased it yet....yet....I think I know that I'm getting next!

Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 12:38am
post #16 of 82

I haven't got to buy their mix.....how is it prepared?  Do you beat it with boiling water like Sugarveil or is it a two part mix like Sugar Dress or something totally different from both?  How much did the mix cost?

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 1:54am
post #17 of 82

It was $14.99, but with the 40% off coupon it was about $9.  It's a powder you beat with water, then add a teaspoon of glycerin included in the tub.  It's very easy. 

Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 10:40am
post #18 of 82

Wow!  That prep is just like sugar dress....and at $14.99 that's less than half the price of SD...and add that 40% coupon and it's a steal....I'll pick some up this weekend!  Thanks for the info.

jchuck Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 2:29pm
post #19 of 82

Wow, even with the rate if exchange, it's much cheaper than anything I can buy here in Canada. Hope the Hobby Lobby in NF NY will carry it.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2015 , 10:04pm
post #20 of 82

Jeff -- thank you so much for posting this -- i've been retired for some time and never could justify purchasing those original pricey luscious lace molds -- but the Sunnyside line of products is so affordable it's crazy -- the mix is nice i had some air bubbles but i could have seived those out if i really wanted/cared -- it worked just fine anyhow --

the awfulest problem was deciding what to buy there were so many gorgeous designs -- 

all I made was that Martha Stewart chocolate chip cookie cake -- just literally cc cookies and souped up whipped cream w/marscapone all stacked up in layers just all bare naked uniced -- so i just placed the lace helter skelter and it worked beautifully to dress it up for thanksgiving --

THANK YOU

Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Nov 2015 , 2:22am
post #21 of 82

Glad you like it.  One thing I've found with all the mixes is that once you mix them, if you let the sit a few hours then slowly re-stir them, you won't get air bubbles.

jchuck Posted 28 Nov 2015 , 2:34pm
post #22 of 82

STILL WAITING for this item to be in the Niagara Falls/Buffalo Hobby Lobby stores.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Nov 2015 , 3:46pm
post #23 of 82

They have it in the ones in Richmond VA , that's the one I got to use with the gelatin lace.

FrillyLily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrillyLily Posted 11 Dec 2015 , 5:34pm
post #24 of 82

I love this product and have recently used it on a wedding cake! I went to pull out the other half of the container to use on a cake today and I must have accidentally thrown away the directions! Does anyone have them handy??? grin.png

-K8memphis Posted 11 Dec 2015 , 6:59pm
post #25 of 82

as a matter of fact i just this morning went & bought the other molds and a new container and the directions are:

preheat oven to 215 degrees to 220 degrees -- pour 1/2 cup water in a glass bowl -- add 1/2 of the powder mix (100g)  and mix with and electric mixer for approximately 2 minutes or until all powder is absorbed -- add 1 teaspoon of part b mix and beat for an additional 4 minutes or until the mixture is thick and well incorporated -- spread the paste on your chosen lace mold and bake for 15-20 minutes depending on your oven's setting -- let the lace cool completely before peeling -- test the corners to see if it comes off easily -- if some parts of the lace are still wet and tear simply lay it back into the mold spread another layer of the lace mix over it and bake for another 10 minutes or until it is completely dry and easy to peel -- you may also dry the lace overnight instead of baking before peeling from the mat 

to attach the lace on a cake or cupcake brush a small amount of water on you fondant covered cake or cupcake just enough to make it tacky -- do not over wet as this may cause the lace to dissolve -- press the lace onto the cake/cupcake until it is fixed --

leftover mixture may be stored in an airtight container fo rup to 14 days in the refrigerator -- bring to room temperature before using -- if you want to customize the cake lace color, liquid food coloring may be mixed into the water before the mix is added -- once added the lace be good for 7 days at room temperature and 10 days in the fridge

-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2015 , 3:11pm
post #26 of 82

hey -- i'm not having much luck cooking this stuff -- works great letting it dry overnight so i'm good -- i need to get a thermometer for my warming drawer and test this out more accurately --

but do you all cook yours successfully? 

edited to say -- it does seem the double application onto the mats works better with a drying in between applications but i have to refine the heating it up part -- gonna work on that today -- i get it crispy or gooey -- surely there's a pliable in between -- it's like chocolate or goldilocks -- gotta get it just right...

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 18 Dec 2015 , 3:57pm
-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2015 , 10:51pm
post #27 of 82

i'm gonna answer my own question 'cause i been messing with this all day -- because each mold is a little different depth, width and intricacy you just cook it till it's done and you just gotta get a feel for it -- each one's just a little different time wise

but i've been using my warming drawer on medium which is about 200 degrees -- then also air drying with a fan -- the fan on low helps with removing the lace -- also keeping your finger tips tapped into a little pile of cornstarch -- and i used my hair dryer a little too 

any other tips are welcome

-K8memphis Posted 19 Dec 2015 , 12:29am
post #28 of 82

so for me the best method is use some heat for around 20 minutes give or take then wait a couple hours to de-mold and it's perfect -- but as for continuously shaking & baking 'em out -- buy extra molds and keep them rotating --

SnugglesC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnugglesC Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 3:27am
post #29 of 82

Did you treat the molds with anything before using the Cake Lace Mix?

Did you just use a spatula to spread it around before letting it dry?

Does it remain flexible?

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 12:11am
post #30 of 82

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%