At A Total Loss For Ideas!

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 30 Sep 2005 , 2:47am by cakemommy

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 10

Okay, so I have a cake order I just picked up the other day and they are paying me $50 for it. It is a cake for the Hospital my DH works at (military hosp) and it's the end of the fiscal year for them. They want a cake to celebrate the end of another year and the beginning of another. The majority of the civilians in the dept are women and it is a woman who ordered the cake. All she wants it to say (at this point) is "Happy New Year"!!!!!

Kind of like a holiday cake but okay, I can put that on there. She want NO FLOWERS!!!! Hello!!!!!! What does she want me to put on the cake beside some writing!!!!!!! My DH is working on her to get the rest of the design planned out but she's hard to get a hold of. I have no idea what colors she wants. I just know she wants a vanilla cake with vanilla frosting!

What am I going to do????? I am in the process of getting two sheet cakes ready for another order for the hospital and a clinic at another base. I'll have to start this other cake as soon as I get home from delivering the other two cakes because that one is due two days later. I'd like to start planning that one out now.

I know I'm dragging on and on but have any of you talented designers run into this and what did you do??? icon_cry.gif

Amy

9 replies
montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 10

How about doing color flow, royal icing, or candy melt trasfer of the hospital logo or initials. You could stand it up for 3d effect . I work at a hospital too and have thought about using something like this but haven't gotten around to it.

cakemommy Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 10

That's an idea!!!!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Amy

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 10

What about a calendar with all the days marked out in red "x"s? Or any color for that matter. Just leave enough room at underneath to write Happy New Year! You can always do scrolls even if you can't do flowers, or there's your tradional noisemakers, confetti & streamers for new year's.

Ali

cakemommy Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 10

I love the calendar idea!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Amy

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 10

When I have extra space to fill...I sometimes add some curly ribbon. That would go well with the new year's theme. If you find a multicolored bow...you could make your color scheme around that. I would make it fun and colorful.
traci icon_smile.gif

cakemommy Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 10

Traci~ you nailed it for me! I just now found out what she wants. She wants it to be a "New Years" theme. She wants it festive hence NO FLOWERS! Why couldn't she have said that to begin with. NOW.....at no additional cost I am supposed to make TWO cakes, one chocolate and one vanilla! I can either decorate them separate or together for one big cake. I am not being paid any additional $$ over the $50 I had to pry out of them. Yes, they could have gone elsewhere for probably cheaper but I want to be able to add them to my clientele but not if they are always going to be this cheap and difficult to work with. I have already commited to the cake so I will of course do it. I want to make this the most festive cake they have seen to show them that $50 is a REAL DEAL!!!

Any other ideas for a New Year's themed cake??????? I would love love love to see any pics or ideas any of ya'll have!!!!!

Amy

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 10

Let's see, New Years makes me think of Champagne, resolutions, Dick Clark, Time Square, streamers and noise makers, 1st Baby of the year, Father Time, clearance sales (LOL)...

anything striking some inspiration??

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 12:01am
post #9 of 10

I did a cake for my sister's company.. It was for the beginning of their fiscal year too... I ended up making a money bag full of coins. If your doing a sheet cake, maybe you could draw a picture of a money bag and then write Happy New Year on it and then scatter some gold chocolate coins on it.. You could also draw some $$$ on the sides of the cake.
HTH

cakemommy Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 2:47am
post #10 of 10

The money bag idea is a really cool idea. I'll ask my DH if that would be appropriate. I love it!!!!

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%