Modified Swiss Buttercream

Decorating By Susie-S Updated 18 Sep 2015 , 9:17pm by Susie-S

Susie-S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie-S Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 6

I got a yummy recipe on you tube from Global Sugar Art for a modifed swiss buttercream.  You start out with egg whites heated with granulated sugar, whipped to peaks then add butter & Shortening, finishing off with powdered sugar.  It's very light and fluffy.  Not sickening sweet like traditional buttercream.  My question is, has anyone tried to add more powdered sugar to make it more stable to work with?  I'm afraid it might be too soft and creamy for a 3 tiered wedding cake.  I made a sample but just put it on a single layer cake. It was very creamy.  Any other ideas? Or recipes for a similar stable frosting?

thanks much!

5 replies
CTgardener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTgardener Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 6

I was wondering also about modified buttercream. Specifically can I mix SMB & AMC to create a creamy not to sweet stable BC?

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 6

I have not used the global sugar modified swiss meringue, but I used Gretchen Price's Swiss meringue butter cream which uses butter and shortening(I use high-ratio shortening) it actually holds up better because of the shortening. It works great for cake.

aarika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aarika Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 6

I use traditional swiss meringue buttercream for tiered cakes all the time, even as large as six tiers; it's the only buttercream I make. My recipe uses five ingredients - sugar, egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla, and butter. I start with my cakes refrigerated, fill and assemble, then I do a crumb coat and put it back in the fridge for about 30 minutes or so. Then, I apply the top layer of buttercream and refrigerate for about 10-15 minutes - just long enough to get the icing to firm up. Then I take it out and smooth it over again with a bench scraper, but even just the regular spatula will do a good job. After it's smooth, I usually keep the cake refrigerated, but it's not essential. If you want a more stable European buttercream, Italian meringue is the way to go.

lmcclaflin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmcclaflin Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 6

I have mixed my ABC and SMBC and it has worked really well.  I'm new to using SMBC but I would worry because mine just seems so creamy and that it might slide off the cake.  Mixing the 2 gives you a great taste actually, you get the not too sweet, light, buttery, creamy texture.

Susie-S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie-S Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone!  Your replies gave me an idea.  I think I'll make up another batch of the swiss buttercream and a batch of American Buttercream.  I'm going to use the ABC to crumb coat for sure that'll probably use 1/2 of the batch. Then I'll take the other half and mix it with the SBC for more Stability.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%