Cake Becomes Hard In Fridge

Baking By neha912 Updated 18 Sep 2015 , 2:25pm by Pastrybaglady

neha912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neha912 Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 6

Hi

I m new to this site and a new baker. I make eggless cakes and most of the time when I keep the frosted cake in the fridge it doesnt remain soft.

I used milkmaid and butter for the cakes. Any idea how I can improvise and let it be softer.

Also wanted to know how to make cakes and cupcakes more moist.

thanks Neha

5 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 6

Just the way butter in the fridge is hard it "hardens" your cake.  When cake is at room temp it softens, but some say never the same as fresh baked.  Cake made with oil and buttermilk stay soft and even get softer resting in the fridge if covered well.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 6

Is there a particular reason you put the cake in the refrigerator?  Unless you have used a perishable filling, there's no reason to refrigerate a cake.

neha912 Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 6

Hi PastryBaglady

Thanks for replying..Never tried buttermilk in cakes. DOnt know the recipe. If I replace butter with oil then it should work.

neha912 Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 6

Hi Leah_s

Place where I stay is pretty warm..The frosting mostly whipped cream doesnt stay when kept outside. So any leftover cake to be consumed later or keeping for someone...needs to be kept in the fridge .

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 6

@neha912  I would not suggest a one for one substitution, you should look for a recipe with oil in it.  It will be moist but it will not have as good a flavor if you are making a vanilla or white cake.  I gave up on oil in vanilla cakes.  I couldn't find one I loved.  I had thought if I could combine oil and butter I could make it work, but I couldn't get the proportions right and was tired of wasting money on ingredients.  So now if there's cake left over, I freeze it and let it come to room temp before I eat it.  Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%