What Is It With All Of The Spammy Posts On This Site?

Lounge By Happyfood Updated 18 Sep 2015 , 5:56pm by Heath

Happyfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happyfood Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 18

Will all due respect for this site's administrator I must make this comment. What is up with all of the spammy posts creeping into the forums? Why is this happening? As I look at the forum lists, they seem to be getting clogged with garbage.

17 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 18

i don't know why they keep posting all that stuff -- the owners are at or preparing for a big cake conference in florida this weekend so the website might be a little lower on the to do list idk for sure but someone keeps wanting to post all that stuff constantly too 

http://cakefair.com/

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 11:25am
post #3 of 18

It's been going on for months since the site relaunch. :(

It did improve for a while and it looked like it was under control but these past couple of weeks it's been a lot worse.

I don't understand what these people think they are gaining from this. Do they really think anyone here is clicking the links??

Saying that, I can't understand why the site can't seem to stop it. I use a LOT of different forums on a lot of different subjects and I've never seen any forum have as much spam as this, especially as ongoing as it is.

It's a shame as it ruins this otherwise excellent forum and I often can't be bothered to scroll through it all. :(

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 11:59am
post #4 of 18

For pete's sake, if the owners of this site want to get rid of it, put a filter up. It can't be that difficult to do to catch the specific words that they're using, it's the same junk over and over. If you're that shorthanded that you can't take five minutes a day to delete this stuff hire someone to do it. I'll do it. Anyone will do it. It's annoying.

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 18

This site has become a mess lately..all this spam garbage and I don't know if anyone else is having an issue with this but I get email updates that a there has been a reply to a post. Then I come on here to read it and there is no notification; so I have to physically find/remember what got a reply and find it. This whole site has gone downhill.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 1:02pm
post #6 of 18

I never click on any of those either because it could be some kind of virus that would infect your computer!! I would advise everyone to never click on any of those spam things!! I hope they will get rid of them once and for all.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 18

Just annoying smirk.png

Happyfood Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 18

It seems to be even worse this morning.  Out of the list showing up on my current screen, I have counted 10 legit posts, one I am not sure about and 19 spammy ones. 

This is getting very annoying to say the least and I have been experiencing the same things everyone else has been dealing with so it seems we are all dealing with the same problems.  Maybe going back to the old format would be a better choice?  This one seems to be a series of problems.  :(

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 18

This whole site re-design has been pathetic. I never see spam on other forms I participate in, and my friends who are IT professionals think the way this site redesign was done is hilariously funny, ludicrous, and bad business practice.

Happyfood Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 18

Yes, very irritating.  For example this message has been repeatedly sent to my mailbox:

Something went wrong!

The server is having some issues. Let's come back and try again soon.

Let us know something is broken, or get help!

Of course if you wish to use the link provided in this message you can click it all day long and you will not get it to respond.  Maybe if the issues are added to this thread, it will get noticed?  It does not seem that the help option on the site has anyone to respond to it either.

*Last edited by Happyfood on 17 Sep 2015 , 7:31pm
Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 18

It makes me sad because it really takes away from the site. I just don't understand why people would even think of posting this kind of stuff on a cake forum the way they do. Do they think we're stupid??? What is gained by them posting all that spam?? My husband gets at least 2-3 phone calls a day from US Pharmacy and no matter how we answer (politely or rudely) or what we say they won't stop calling. we have never bought anything from them how they got his number I will never know. its frustrating I've thought about answering the phone screaming at the top of my lungs lol. We've even answered it "Decatur Police Department" they always hang up but call back the next day.

cake central has not worked right at all for me in weeks and they contacted me through a thread I posted about not receiving notifications and they said they were fixing it but no fixes have happened for me. I just wished we could all get on here and it be spam free with all the bugs worked out. It's beginning to  ruin cake central for me and I hate saying that :(

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 12:44am
post #12 of 18

I think spam removal will become more of a priority only if CC starts losing advertisers because of it. 

I almost never come on here anymore (and I used to be on here a couple times a day) and that's one of the reasons why.  There are spam threads on the business forum that are 13 hours old. 

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 1:50am
post #13 of 18

@Happyfood  I get those all the time too. I also get multiple emails for the same notification. If someone mentions me, I get the same email 3 times in my inbox. Kind of annoying..

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 1:51am
post #14 of 18

The only way to control spam is to have someone  on the CC team designated to  moderate and remove it. I've helped on a website, and sometimes even with great filters those spammers still get through. There tenacious. When new members are accepted, instead of being interested in the site, there ulterior motive is to flood the site with spam. Who knows why???

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 2:02am
post #15 of 18

@Webake2gether  phone spam is probably the most annoying of all. We get so much of it on our home phone. The worst is that they pose as other companies trying to get money from people. We've gotten calls of people posing as a hotel company, flight company and all. It's terrible, and I'm sure people fall for it and give their credit card info..

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 2:06am
post #16 of 18

If you have a caller ID, start reporting them to the FTC. They ask you if they've contacted you before and when, and if you've asked to be put on the do-not-call list. If you have and they keep calling you, the company will get a fine for being reported. There were one or two companies that kept calling me until I reported them, and they stopped after they were busted. https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

Norasmom2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom2 Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 3:30am
post #17 of 18

I guess bakers are black magic love gurus in need of matchmaker.  

#$#%#$^_______<K<<KULYKYlaughing.png

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 5:56pm
post #18 of 18

We do have a pretty sophisticated filter in place which is why this stuff mostly disappeared for awhile.  We use an industry standard third party service for it.  Unfortunately, once your site gets on a target list, you get perpetually targeted.

I suspect that something is going on that is interfering with the filter script, unfortunately, as someone else mentioned, Jackie is away at the Cake Fair in Orlando. She left on Tuesday and will not be back until this coming Tuesday.  She is the only person who can fix it and she is unavailable.

So until Tuesday all I can do is keep deleting and banning accounts until she can deal with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%