Toothpick Sliding In Fondant Decorations???

Decorating By satindoll_101 Updated 17 Sep 2015 , 3:42am by Happyfood

satindoll_101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satindoll_101 Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 2:51am
post #1 of 12

Hi All,

This may seem like a silly question to ask, but it is driving me crazy!! Whenever I do any fondant / gum paste decorations that dry hard to go atop a cake (for ex: roses, #'s, animal figurines etc), I usually put a skewer or a toothpick in the base of the fondant / gum paste decoration so I can then stick it in the cake.

I wet the toothpick or skewer in water and then stick it in the fondant, and then press the fondant around the toothpick so it holds. However, when my fondant dries, it swivels loosely around the toothpick and is not very sturdy. I even tried dipping the toothpick in shortening but it still doesn't help. ... I just did some fondant roses today and while the roses were snug with the toothpick initially, while they dried they got looser, so I just removed the toothpick and am planning to just put the roses straight on my cake (no toothpick sticking in the cake under the roses).

Does anyone else have this problem too? If not, what am I doing wrong??

11 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 3:37am
post #2 of 12

Insert toothpick with gum glue, not water. Sometimes, I use royal icing if I have it on hand. I think both water and shortening are actually preventing the toothpick from "bonding" with the gumpaste decoration. 

Happyfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happyfood Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 4:06am
post #3 of 12

Ditto to jonson6ofus' advice.  If I am making little figures, I will poke the hole in it for the pick and let it dry then go back and use the  "glue" right before adding it to the cake.  Water melts the sugar too much.

satindoll_101 Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for you input. I will give this a try! So Happyfood, are  you saying prick a hole in the figurine with a toothpick and then REMOVE the toothpick, let the figurine dry and then reinsert the toothpick when putting on the cake? I always thought the figurine had to dry with the toothpick inserted in it...

johnson6ofus Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 12

"Normal" , IMHO, is apply gum glue to toothpick. so---

make figure out of fondant. Stick in clean tooth pick to create hole. Apply gum glue to toothpick and reinsert into created hole. Model fondant around a little to seal in place. Let dry--- days, if a large item. Check for adhesion. If it failed, reglue with royal icing or warm candy melts. 

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 12

I think what @johnson6ofus  means is use the 'gum glue' from the start, while making the figurine/decoration, prior to letting it dry...at least that's how I learned to do it.

fyi, here's a good/easy recipe for edible/gum glue... http://thesugarlane.com/how-to-make-edible-glue/

johnson6ofus Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 12

Just NOT water or shortening!

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 12

sorry @johnson6ofus  ...we posted at the same time...didn't mean to speak for you!  

johnson6ofus Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 12

No harm... no foul. Good advise can be repeated... smile.png

Happyfood Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 7:59pm
post #10 of 12

If it is a small thing, I do what everyone else suggests but if it is a bigger or heavy figure that is going to take a few days to dry, I will poke a hole in the bottom for the pick then leave it sit to dry.  Sometimes it is just easier for me to let something dry without a pick sticking out of it.  The "glue" works great to stick things together.  :)

satindoll_101 Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 2:23am
post #11 of 12

OMG! :S Ok so clearly my problem was the water / shortening! Thanks everyone for your input!!

*Last edited by satindoll_101 on 17 Sep 2015 , 2:24am
Happyfood Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 3:42am
post #12 of 12

@ satindoll_101, Best of luck to you and have fun! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%