Newguy

Decorating By Slyjin Updated 16 Sep 2015 , 3:26am by kakeladi

Slyjin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Slyjin Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 4

Welll title basically gets to the idea of this conversation lol im Greg im a walmart Cake Decorator and im basically self teaching myself all this haha i have a few questions if anyone would be so kind to help me with like if i wanted to do this from home what type of airbrush is good along with compressor and simply give me any tips you wish to give! lol Also pointers on trims..i have a few of my cakes on ig if u wish to see just ask :)

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 12:56am
post #2 of 4

hi greg welcome to cake central -- i just got the kopykake air master 

http://www.kopykake.com/cake-decorating/airmaster.html

it works/ed for me -- that's what i used when i was a grocery store decorator and at most all the other bakeries i worked at -- 

if you want to you can download photos on here by clicking on gallery up there & following the prompts

i hope you enjoy being here -- best to you

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 1:01am
post #3 of 4

Hi Slyjin, welcome to the forum!  

As far as starting a cake biz from home:  step #1-is it legal in your state?  If yes, call your local health dept and they will tell you what your particular town/city requires from you.  All local health dept's require different things so you definitely need to start there.

Not sure what you mean by pointers on trims...you mean trim on the cake tiers?

Sorry, I can't help you with the air brush machine because, sadly, I don't have one :(   but, I'm sure someone else will be willing to help you with that.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 3:26am
post #4 of 4

I agree w/k8 re KopyKake airbrush.  I  had 2 of them (over some 10 yrs time) and didn't have any major problems with either one.  As for a compressor - uuggg I can't remember but don't get one too big.  The little foot peddle one will work but it's better to get a bigger/more powerful one.  Neither of the guns I had used that red part shown (compressor?) in the picture of that link k8 posted. 

As for tips - spend lots and lots of time browsing on here.  There will be many threads that will throw out hints and tips re decorating and recipes for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%