Bubbles Under Fondant

Decorating By NatStan Updated 18 Sep 2015 , 7:57am by NatStan

NatStan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatStan Posted 14 Sep 2015 , 7:53am
post #1 of 4

I recently made a three tiered cake as practice for my birthday. I iced it with American buttercream and covered it with Wilton fondant, which I have done before and had very little problems with in the past. This time my filling bulged and I had lots of air bubbles show up after a few hours. What did I do wrong? Also I think my dowels were maybe not all the exact same length because the tiers slumped a bit to one side. A lot of videos say to chill the iced cake prior to covering with fondant but I found the fondant getting damp from condensation just in the short time it took me to smooth the top of the cake. The resulting cake was the most amateur looking thing I've done since my first fondant cake! Any suggestions would be amazing.

3 replies
NatStan Posted 14 Sep 2015 , 9:44am
post #2 of 4
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Sep 2015 , 11:32am
post #3 of 4

There could be a few reasons, but the most likely reason is that there were air bubbles trapped between the layers of the cake and they worked their way out. When you put the cake layers together, try to kind of put one edge down and press the top layer on the bottom one as you put it in place. That will help prevent air pockets from forming.

The fondant might also have been too soft or too long for the sides of the cake, I've noticed that if that happens and it isn't trimmed at the base of the cake it will kind of sag and bulge out as it settles into place while the cake sits.

I decorate everything at room temperature myself, because it does allow any air bubbles to escape right away instead of waiting for a cold cake to warm up to see if anything will happen to it. 

NatStan Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 7:57am
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the response! I will try not chilling the next one. I think I may have used a medium stiff ABC or overbeat it as well. It's possible that I was just not being very careful since it was for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%