Toot Toot!

Lounge By mrsmac888 Updated 14 Sep 2015 , 1:55am by remnant3333

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 13 Sep 2015 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 8

I humbly stand here before you to do a little dance and to brag a bit.....feel free to move on to the next post. I'm just in a silly mood right now.

I did a wedding cake this weekend that I'm doing the happy dance over! It's done for one thing! For my "talent" level, it turned out pretty well too!

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3351113/purple-wedding-cake

I made all the flowers out of wafer paper, which I'd never done before. I am lucky in that my husband has a laser cutter that we cut all the big flowers with, so I didn't have to do them by hand. Big Help! I had a lot of worries with this cake, not knowing if the wafer paper would dissolve in the buttercream. The "medallions on the purple cakes were made of royal icing and I was nervous that they would dissolve also. Thank goodness they held up just fine! I got a lot of great advice here on CC and I know I'd have never been able to pull off this cake without it! Thank you!

I could have improved on many things. I forgot to test the ribbon against the buttercream, a big "no-no"! Won't forget to do that again! My buttercream that I colored purple took on way too much air in the mixing process and it would not smooth out nicely. Overall, I was happy and the bride loved it!!!! And it tasted fantastic! At least that is what I was told!!!!

Happy Happy Happy!!!!!

Stay sweet, Christina

7 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 13 Sep 2015 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 8

Hey Christina,  good to hear you're happy - and you did a great job. Bravo! Think I read a post the other day with someone worrying over wafer paper flowers on bc and royal icing...was that you? Anyway, we'll done!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Sep 2015 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 8

good for you -- oh you did great -- so did you go with the royal icing for the dots or did you use buttercream? the flowers are phenomenal -- i love how the smaller ones are so ethereal just floating across the tier and kind of see through -- well balanced -- really pretty -- happy for you

ain't nothing like a 'cake high'  huh*:-)/\:-) high five

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 13 Sep 2015 , 7:22pm
mrsmac888 Posted 13 Sep 2015 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 8

K8 -

I practiced and practiced, like you suggested.  I wanted so badly to do the dots in royal, and knew that was the way to go.  At the point of actually putting it all together and decorating the cake, I panicked and went with buttercream.  I decided that if the royal dots touched they would "merge" into one.  Knowing that the buttercream won't do that, I went with buttercream.  I should have done them in royal.  The major amounts of purple color in the the cake bled into my dots!!!!  LUCKILY they only showed on the back!!!

Thank you for your input last week, during the "panic" stage.  And Thank you for saying you liked it.  It was fun to do.  I love the challenge of an unusual cake and oh my .... the "cake high"  is euphoric!!!!  

Christina

kissing_heart.png

mrsmac888 Posted 13 Sep 2015 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 8

Julia,

Yes, that was probably me!!!  The flowers really had me worried!!!  But now,  I'm officially in love with wafer paper!!!!  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Sep 2015 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 8

wonderful -- and you still have the new skill for a future project -- you're very welcome -- 

best 2u

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 13 Sep 2015 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 8

You did a fabulous job

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 14 Sep 2015 , 1:55am
post #8 of 8

You did an awesome job!! Well done!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%