Bar Codes Regarding Country Of Origin

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 7 Sep 2015 , 8:00pm by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 7

i think this is so cool!

so i found this on fb -- it has over 97,000 shares so i feel reasonably certain it's ok to post here -- it's by aaron hill -- he encourages sharing it at the end of the post --

"ALWAYS READ THE LABELS ON THE FOODS YOU BUY--NO MATTER WHAT THE FRONT OF THE BOX OR PACKAGE SAYS, TURN IT OVER AND READ THE BACK---CAREFULLY!
With all the food and pet products now coming from China , it is best to make sure you read the label at the grocery store and especially Walmart when buying food products.
Many products no longer show where they were made, only give where the distributor is located.
It is important to read the bar code to track it's origin.
How to read Bar Codes .... interesting!
This may be useful to know when grocery shopping, if it's a concern to you.
GREAT WAY TO "BUY USA & CANADA " AND NOT FROM CHINA!!

The whole world is concerned about China-made "black hearted goods".
Can you differentiate which one is made in Taiwan or China ?

If the first 3 digits of the barcode are 690 691 or 692, the product isMADE IN CHINA.
471 is Made in Taiwan . 
This is our right to know, but the government and related departments never educate the public, therefore we have to RESCUE ourselves.

Nowadays, Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products "MADE IN CHINA ", so they don't show from which country it is made.

However, you may now refer to the barcode - remember if the first 3 digits are:

690-692 ... then it is MADE IN CHINA
00 - 09 ... USA & CANADA
30 - 37 FRANCE
40 - 44 GERMANY
471 ... Taiwan
49 ... JAPAN
50 ... UK

BUY USA & CANADIAN MADE by watching for "0" at the beginning of the number.
We need every boost we can get! Pass this on to everybody on your E-Mail Contact List!!"

~~~~~

then there's a responder, hp, who in regard to a picture of a upc code (4  710088 412539)  states:

Remember that this is a European UPC code. You can tell because there is one number followed by two sequences of six. U.S. codes have one number followed by two sequences of five and one number at the end.

facepunch.png and facepunch.png

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 7

if i'm doing this right:

• my sam's club onions were grown in thailand
  • my husband takes turmeric caplets for plantar faciitis and they were made in macao
  • my argo aluminum free baking powder was made in canada
  • my sweetleaf stevia was made in norway
  • some fish oil caps were made in france

this is cool

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 7 Sep 2015 , 7:34pm
Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 7

What about my HP ink cartridge, it starts with 884?? I smell a spoof.

Brookebakescake Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 7

From snopes.com:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp

Unfortunately, determination of product origins for American consumers isn't quite as cut and dried as it's been made to sound here. First of all, the two- or three-digit country codes referenced above are incorporated into the European Article Number (EAN-13) bar code standard, but not into the UPC-A bar code which is most commonly used in the U.S. Moreover, what those EAN-13 country codes indicate is the country or economic region where a particular bar code was assigned, not necessarily the country where the product identified by that bar code was made:

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp#UPTr2Sr22pCPQ8be.99

"First of all, the two- or three-digit country codes referenced above are incorporated into the European Article Number (EAN-13) bar code standard, but not into the UPC-A bar code which is most commonly used in the U.S. Moreover, what those EAN-13 country codes indicate is the country or economic region where a particular bar code was assigned, not necessarily the country where the product identified by that bar code was made"

"It may be the case that in some parts of the world there is a fair degree of correlation between assignment of bar codes and product origins (i.e., in some countries the preponderance of bar code assignments may apply to domestic products), but for surefire product origin identification consumers must rely upon other methods. In determining the country of origin of a product sold in the U.S., consumers often still have to rely on the standard methof of looking for "Made in [country name]" labels on the packaging."

First of all, the two- or three-digit country codes referenced above are incorporated into the European Article Number (EAN-13) bar code standard, but not into the UPC-A bar code which is most commonly used in the U.S. Moreover, what those EAN-13 country codes indicate is the country or economic region where a particular bar code was assigned, not necessarily the country where the product identified by that bar code was made:

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp#UPTr2Sr22pCPQ8be.99

First of all, the two- or three-digit country codes referenced above are incorporated into the European Article Number (EAN-13) bar code standard, but not into the UPC-A bar code which is most commonly used in the U.S. Moreover, what those EAN-13 country codes indicate is the country or economic region where a particular bar code was assigned, not necessarily the country where the product identified by that bar code was made:

Unfortunately, determination of product origins for American consumers isn't quite as cut and dried as it's been made to sound here. First of all, the two- or three-digit country codes referenced above are incorporated into the European Article Number (EAN-13) bar code standard, but not into the UPC-A bar code which is most commonly used in the U.S. Moreover, what those EAN-13 country codes indicate is the country or economic region where a particular bar code was assigned, not necessarily the country where the product identified by that bar code was made:

Brookebakescake Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 7

Brookebakescake Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 7

Oh good grief, my post is being held for consideration.  Oh, sure, spammers can post all they like about love and such, but I can't paste an article from <snopesdotcom>.  So when the moderators decide that there was nothing questionable in my comment, you'll see that the bar codes have to do with the country where the company who owns the product is, not where that company's product was made or packaged.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 7

well like on my fish oil caps -- it says distributed by walgreens and product of canada on the label but i got nothing to say where the product originated -- the bar code is an american one i guess because it has the one digit then two groups of 5 and one at the end -- but the country of origin is france so i think  it means it came from somewhere

stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye.png 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%