Loaf Pan Issue

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 12:11am by MBalaska

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 15

so i just bought this beautiful loaf pan for SEVEN DOLLARS 

it is listed here for TWENTY TWO DOLLARS

http://www.heritagemint.com/ZPCB52.html

so i'm skeptical about the difference in price and that it is made in china -- it wasn't on sale i got it at a local discount/restaurant supply store -- 

i looked up corflon which is the non stick interiror material and it says to hand wash not to put it in the dishwasher -- then the heritage mint page says dishwasher safe -- but it also says " Swiss Quality Made by ILAG" but it doesn't say where the $22 pan is made which probably is china --

now i'm skeptical about using it -- it was perfect for a big ole meatloaf -- till i started thinking about it and reading up on it --

i like china -- i don't like their tilapia farming methods (they feed the tilapia fish poop) super gross and the lead thing from a few years ago is still fresh and you can certainly leach lead out of ceramics anyhow then add on the non stick corflon 

i don't know -- think i'm taking it back -- would you use it? i use lots of other things made in china idk

14 replies
-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 15

if it seems too good to be true right

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 15

Technically any non-stick is dangerous, right? I know that teflon pots and pans should not be used around birds because the fumes would kill them.  I'm usually the one telling my husband "just go ahead, I'm sure it's fine."  So don't ask me, I say go ahead :)

And, yes, I'd guarantee the $22 one is made in china ;)

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 15

thank you, bbc -- i'm so torn though --

my husband  is on your side -- he just came in and said oh this is a nice pan (it is!) he said "don't 'wade, the duck' it"  --wade the duck was a character on garfield cartoons -- wade wore a life preserver at all times because he was afraid of water (he's a duck they live on water  right)

i mean don't you think these are the ones china rejected and dang if i wanna put my fine meatloaf in the ones china rejected but i'm just surmising/imagining that but the price kinda tells a tale too...where's my  life loaf preserver hahahahaha

Brookebakescake Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 15

Lol you sound like MY husband :)  I'm a daredevil compared to him!
I don't necessarily think it's the rejects.  The US still have strict standards and importing would not allow them to import sub par items.  There are exceptions to everything, but the laws are there for a reason.

I like your Wade the Duck saying :)  I'll have to use that on my husband :)

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 15

we love wade

oh and i removed the labels and got it washed up -- if we start glowing at night or growing third eyeballs i'll let y'all know...

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 3 Sep 2015 , 3:34pm
Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 15

You should buy a plain glazed ceramic loaf pan. Nothing dangerous about them but you must be careful not to put them on the stove as they break. They are naturally non stick and cook food beautifully. When you have served the food, leave them to cool and then put some water in them to soften up any stuck bits. I have used mine in the dishwasher but for longevity, I would recommend hand washing plus you don't want the dishwashing agents to spoil the beautiful glaze. When I bake brioche type sweet bread in mine, I use a liner that is made for that size, then it is so easy to pull it up  and the pan stays clean! I share your fears about products coming from China. I had to return a green fondant press (the one you fill and twist to make ribbons or cords appear using different disks) as it has a brass head which is not food safe. I know lots of bakers use it to decorate their cakes, same as they use a cutting mat to cut fondant without using a barrier method. Sigh. I am a bit on the too cautious side and like you, would lose sleep over an item that I was not sure about. Easier to return! :)

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 15

true shockolata and thank you -- yeah brass is no good around food --

truth be told i did not need the pan necessarily i was not shopping for one  -- it's an elongated loaf pan and like i said i am making some meatloaf and it was the size and the good deal that got me --

plain ceramic ware can leach lead too of course -- i've heard it's only a problem when the item is heated though  -- i always wanted to get one of those kits to test for it in my coffee cups, it's the glaze i think  -- lead poisoning is pretty bad news and can getcha even in small doses

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 15

wait -- only some of the chinese fishermen feed 'that' to the tilapia and it's probably the poorest ones -- not all of it comes out of china like that -- can't believe i said that like that -- but there's no way for me to determine which is which either -- so i finally talked my husband out of buying/eating it -- it seemed to have a mad cow vibe to it so not for me

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 15

I don't think bake and dinnerware made in our countries contains lead glazes. Lead is probably found on tourist ware which is meant to be decorative and not actually used for food and drink. From what I read, the problem is not when the item is heated; the problem is if the glazed item has not been baked properly so it's sealed. Anyway, how many of us still use non stick pans with scratches on them because we paid a lot of money for them and they are otherwise alright and we cannot bear to throw them out after just a few months of use? (Goodness knows how these scratches occur when they are well looked after but it is a mystery such as the missing sock mystery that will baffle mankind to the end of times.)  As for tilapia, I like that fish. I have not heard of any bad practices in their growing. They are grown in different parts of the world but I think ours comes from SE Asia. I was not aware that China was a producer of tilapia. You should take things with a pinch of salt. What do you think battery chickens eat? They eat recycled poo because it was found that they do not digest the nutrients from their feed so they take their poo and process it and feed it back to them to save money. Does this stop people eating KFC and McDonald's and all the other brands, big or small who buy chickens in bulk? Don't deprive yourself of a lovely fish because of rumours. Buy it from a different source if necessary. It is after all one of the fish that do not have mercury in them - how many fish can claim that?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 10:41pm
post #11 of 15

Kate put a layer of parchment in your pan before your meat loaf and use the pans.  You must be really bored this week.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 15

i don't eat sushi either shockolata -- some years ago i had some bad ice from the ice machine at work (seriously)  and my stomach hasn't been the same since -- after i started getting bad sick i went & looked in the ice machine and it was scary/nasty -- i'm real careful with things like that now -- what I've heard/read about tilapia aren't rumors so...it's not for me -- 

but i am going to use the loaf pan -- just for the record i have hard anodized pots & pans but do still have one non-stick teflony pan for some reason -- and i am growing disillusioned with poultry but it's what i'm used to too -- no easy answers but i'll happily eat beans rather than questionable fish -- chickens and eggs are getting wonky too what are yah gonna do

Brookebakescake Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 11:05pm
post #13 of 15

I know what happens to the socks. They get up and walk away mid dryer cycle. Have to. It's the only sensible explanation. 

I am vegetarian, but not for moral or ethical reasons (I just can't stand the stuff) ...HOWEVER, hearing discussions like this make me so thankful I don't eat that stuff :P  I iust have to worry about people pooping in the spinach fields lol

you use your good-deal-pan k8! Happy meatloaf!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 12:09am
post #14 of 15

thank you, brooke, happy avocado and bean loaf to you as well!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 12:11am
post #15 of 15

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/spinach-tainted-with-salmonella-recalled/

spinach tained with salmonella recalled from California.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%