Edible Wire?

Decorating By Kaleb44 Updated 3 Sep 2015 , 4:51pm by Shockolata

Kaleb44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaleb44 Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 3:03am
post #1 of 5

Hi, I'm a long time lurker first time poster

I'm making a bee box cake (the box where beekeepers collect the honey), there will be quite a few bees on it and I thought it would be cool to have some "flying".

I like to keep everything edible (minus supports) and am having a hard time figuring out what to use for the wire.

I thought spaghetti sticks at first (my go to support) but it will be too brittle even if covered with chocolate or royal icing. 

Pretzels would look doinky, Sugar would melt too fast and be too brittle.

Any ideas?

Worst comes to worse I will use wire, but I thought I would ask here to see if I'm missing anything obvious.

Thanks

4 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 5:03am
post #2 of 5

Why not spaghetti? And why cover with chocolate?

I have used spaghetti for all kinds of support and have painted them with vodka and gel food coloring (ahead of time, to dry). Unless the bees are the size of Dumbo, I don't see why it won't work.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 5:51am
post #3 of 5

You made me laugh, Johnson.....

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 5

smirk.png

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 5

Spaghetti will absorb moisture from the cake and become bendy. That is probably why the OP does not want to use it.  Here's a solution that I can think off hand: Make a background for the cake out of modelling paste rolled thinly and let to dry. Using edible colours, paint a scene of trees and sky and stick your 3D bees in different levels. The bottom of the backdrop can be attached to the bottom of the cake. As beehives are usually square, that should pose no problem in the sense that you don't have to preform it to fit a round cake. If it needs to go onto a round cake, you'll have to use a dummy of the diameter the cake will be AFTER frosting/covering with fondant so that the curve is accurate. Cover the dummy with clingfilm and lay the modelling paste on the side to dry, supporting the free part with sponges. If you decide to go for wires, make sure you insert flower picks into the cake to house the wires so that they do not come in contact with food. Remove them before cutting the cake. Good luck and don't forget to come put a photo to show us!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%