How To Make 3D Round Ball Lolliops?

Sugar Work By khrys Updated 3 Apr 2018 , 12:19am by ElizaW

khrys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khrys Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 1:27am
post #1 of 11

Ok, I'm sorry if this is too basic a question, but I've been searching for hours and all of the references I've found lead to non-existant sites.

I want to make round, ball shaped suckers for my son's birthday. I've seen lots of half-round molds. I'm not finding true 3D ones.

Is there a good way to 'glue' the two halves together or is there a certain mold I should look for?

End goal... making amber spheres with mosquitoes inside of them for his Jurassic Park party. A video says they still stick together with a bit of water, but I'm thinking that's unlikely.

Any input appreciated.... (next up, velociraptor cake!)

Many thanks in advance, 

~Khrys.

10 replies
bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 10:48am
post #2 of 11

Sorry I don't have an answer for you I just wanted to say what a cool idea! Hope you can figure it out :-)

Amps.prkns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amps.prkns Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 11:26am
post #3 of 11

I believe you can search for silicon sphere mold and find some things online. You'd have to order them and find the right size but they are out there. I think there meant for ice cubes so it would be tricky pouring hot sugar in there but it could work. Try etsy too. 

khrys Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 11:46am
post #4 of 11

Thanks bakernoob and amps.prkns.  I've looked at the silicone sphere molds. Most are too big and I can't fathom how to fill them with very hot sugar through a toothpick sized hole. Bakernoob, I'll let you know if they come out. (big IF).

Anyone out there with any advice or input... it's much appreciated.

Thank you!

~Khrys

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 11

CK Products has sucker molds. http://www.sweettreatsupply.com/3D-Ball-Sucker-Hard-Candy-Mold-p/5367.htm

This was one site I found them on.  There are other sizes and shapes on this site as well, but for this one (3D Ball Sucker & Hard Candy Mold) someone commented that they used it for tootsie pops, so I would think this would work for the "mosquito."  Very cool idea!  Hope it works out!

khrys Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 12:53pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you 640Cake!!

Also... in case this helps anyone else... I just found this regarding using the molds that are flat on one side:

Assembly Instructions - Option 1 (best appearance)

Make the half without the stick and allow to cool
Pour the stick half
Place the stick
Place the non stick half from step 1 atop the still soft stick half
Allow to cool

Assembly Instructions - Option 2

Pour all the cavities
Place the sticks
Allow to cool
After demolding, adhere the 2 halves with some melted candy

CatPoet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatPoet Posted 13 Sep 2015 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 11

Kitchencraft Silicone Cake Pop Mould, that I have been told by many is good and gives round balls.

There is also the cake pop maker, a machine that makes round balls.  Where I live both the machine and the mould cost the same.

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 13 Sep 2015 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 11

I recently saw  a few videos of a Japanese method of using jelly to encase fondant pieces, so how about you make the mosquitoes and then pour some amber-coloured jelly made with agar-agar, let it set a bit, then press the mosquito on top and cover with more jelly. When set, it should be a round ball with a mosquito inside it! You would use round moulds of course, such as for cake pops or even two half moulds held together with bull clips. You can always trim off any jelly that has made a seam. And I hear agar-agar jelly is rather stable once made so it could go on a cake without problems. Editing to add that you would probably need to inject the jelly after you have placed the mosquito on the first half of the mould (so then you cover with the other half of the mould, attach the bull clips and then use a syringe to inject the jelly.) Hope it makes sense!

*Last edited by Shockolata on 13 Sep 2015 , 6:14pm
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 13 Sep 2015 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 11

Or you could make the two separate halves and then run a blow torch over the flat surface of each to slightly melt the surface and the  press them together to get the full sphere.

khrys Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 5:50am
post #10 of 11

Thank you all!  I got the first halves setting up tonight with sticks and bugs in them.  Will try a few different techniques and see how they come out.  Bummer is that apparently a lot of my sticks were not straight, so that may be an issue when trying to attach the other side.  We shall see.  @Winniemog.... I love the blow torch idea!!

ElizaW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizaW Posted 3 Apr 2018 , 12:19am
post #11 of 11

Quote by @khrys on 17 Sep 2015 , 10:50pm

Thank you all!  I got the first halves setting up tonight with sticks and bugs in them.  Will try a few different techniques and see how they come out.  Bummer is that apparently a lot of my sticks were not straight, so that may be an issue when trying to attach the other side.  We shall see.  @Winniemog.... I love the blow torch idea!!

I know your post is over 2 years ago but wondering what mold you ended up using and how happy are you with the results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%