Looking For Tutorial On How To Make A Fondant Deer.

Decorating By tudie123 Updated 31 Aug 2015 , 6:50pm by tudie123

tudie123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tudie123 Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 7

I have searched and searched and can not fin a tutorial on how to make a fondant deer to go on top of a grooms cake.  Most of the ones I've seen are very animated and cartoonish.

I have made a couple, but I think they could  be better.  But I cant find a deer tutorial anywhere.  Please help!!!!

*Last edited by tudie123 on 31 Aug 2015 , 3:28pm
6 replies
Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 7

Do you want to share your efforts?

First of all, have you got a photo of a deer to work from? It would be good to have various photos, e.g. head, full body seen from front, seen from side, seen from back, closeup of feet. Put all these photos on a board that you stand on your work area so you have immediate reference. Also print a sideways deer in the size you want your model to be in. That will help you shape the body and decide how big the antlers are (I assume the groom actually wants a buck/stag?) and how long the feet should be. 

I am not sure what method you use for building your models. If I were building a deer, I would use support on each of its legs. Spaghetti or bamboo sticks that would be longer under the hoof so they can be inserted into the cake. (Whist building your model you can support parts on polystyrene.) I would use modelling paste which is quick drying and has a better finish than fondant. If they want to eat the deer, then I'd do a 50-50 mix to keep it on the softer side or buy the special premade mix like this one: https://www.squires-shop.com/uk/product/sk-sugar-dough-white-200g  As the body is the heaviest part of the model, I would start with that first and let it dry with the bamboo sticks in the right places ready for the legs. Then I'd move onto the antlers and leave them to dry. Then the head. Always place your modelling paste shape on top of the printed paper to make sure you are keeping to the right dimensions. Refer to your other printouts to get the right shape all around. Attach the head to the body using gunge or melted candy. You might need to put a support through the neck of the stag. The last thing to build would be the legs, shaping them around their supports and making sure they blend nicely onto the body. Once the entire model is dry, it is time to have fun painting it with dust colours mixed with rejuvenator spirit (or alcohol or even water). Or you can use gel colours thinned with water. 

I don't know if my way is of any use to you. I might give it a try just for fun and take some pictures. But I am sure you can do it. Don't lose heart. You learn something with every mistake. :)

tudie123 Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for the idea's.  I don't have pictures right now, but I have started over and over, just because I don't like how they have turned out.  I will do the suggestions you have and see how it goes.  I have tried fondant and modeling chocolate.  Each have their ups and downs.  Thanks again for the suggestions.

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 7

Personally, I would watch Liz Marek's unicorn topper tutorial because a horse would be at least somewhat similar to the body of that of a deer....obviously not exact.....but the general make up of long legs, a muscular body and beautiful muscular neck smaller head etc..... You could at least get some of the meat and bones on how to even start something like this.    Me, I would adapt her tutorial to a real image of a deer to get the right proportions but basically follow the order of the tutorial in that I would do the body/neck area first, then legs.  If you want the deer to stand, you need support in the legs.    I wonder if maybe using some thick gauged wire to make a skeleton of the body and legs and neck would give you enough support to build it around?  Think one longer one for body/neck bent to get the right angle you want.....and two more wires secured to the body/neck wire to make the legs.....maybe use florist tape to really get them adhered together then model the deer to that by doing body/neck/head first.....dry that...then move in to legs? 

I am relatively new to modeling stuff so please don't crucify me if my idea isn't sound.  I am just bouncing off ideas.  And it's fun to think about how to do stuff like this.

you should TOTALLY film yourself making this guy since CLEARLY there is a need for a deer tutorial.....I scoured the internets too and couldn't find anything either.....I even looked up polymer clay stuff since it could be similar for internal structure.  

Best wishes to you on your project xoxo

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 7

So I got to playing with this and this is what I was describing above.  I used 18 gauge wire for the skeletal frame and I was thinking that the wire would support the entire body/neck/head/legs.  And then I was even thinking you could leave it a tad longer so you could model him on some foam for support while working and drying it.   And then trim the excess wire when you are finished.  

I don't know if there is a better or easier or more traditional way of doing something like this.....so again, I am just throwing out ideas to think of

my apologies for the sideways picture.....all of a sudden any pictures I upload are sideways....despite them being correct on my device.....if anyone can tell me how to fix that I would be appreciative.  Sigh 

55e496e6035d4.jpeg

*Last edited by mccantsbakes on 31 Aug 2015 , 6:08pm
tudie123 Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you.  Your idea's make perfect sense.  I have seen the unicorn and tried to use that a bit.  And yes, I want it to stand so I definitely have to use a support which I haven't used as of yet.  Maybe thats why they are not holding the best shape.  Thanks again for your suggestions.  Much appreciated.

tudie123 Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 7

Mccantsbakes - I think that support that you and Shockolata have suggested would help lots.  I've done lots of cakes, not so much of the fondant type sculpting.  THANK YOU BOTH!  I'm ready to give this another go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%