European Buttercream Questions

Decorating By fancypantsgoodies Updated 27 Aug 2015 , 7:29am by mccantsbakes

fancypantsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fancypantsgoodies Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 12

Hey guys, I am trying to use the search function but getting an error - so apologies if this is redundant.

Need to find a "standard" recipe for italian meringue buttercream and know how much one "standard" recipe will ice, considering that these buttercreams take so long to make. 

I have a two tier, 2 layers each cake to make for this Saturday (9" and 6") and a three tier, two layers each wedding cake to make for 9/5. I am embarrassed to say I have never used any of the European buttercreams out of laziness, but the last cake I did was annoyingly painful to work with because the buttercream was slightly too thin. I want to try these other buttercreams because I hear that they are a dream to work with. I welcome opinions on which is better between Swiss and Italian. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Brooke

11 replies
amartin1900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amartin1900 Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 12

I like this italian bc. It was fine on my first try. 

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/italian-buttercream-recipe

Here is my own fluffy bc recipe. Very similar to the meringue bc s but faster

55dddb929ea90.jpeg

fancypantsgoodies Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 12

Hi there - thanks for the response. I haven't see a recipe like this before. Do you use this for all kinds of cakes? 

amartin1900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amartin1900 Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 12

It is completely mine, the original had no cream cheese in it. It is for my customers that aren't into sweet sweet bc. I love that you can control how sweet it is. I used it for a wedding cake. The room was so hot, about 80degrees. It was fine. I wouldn't go hotter than that. So I don't off er it in texas summer for weddings. Pardon the stained expression on my facelaughing.png55dde6267c346.jpeg

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 12

You

julia1812 Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 12

Have a look at this chart for the amount of bc you need. Hope it helps. 

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-serving-guide.cfm

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 12

pretty cake, amartin --

i like swiss better than italian because it is smooth as glass and easier to repair -- once it gets cold you can wipe away spatula marks with your fingers/spatula and smoothy smoothy the surface -- and i don't like to do the slow steady stream into the mixer bowl like you do with the italian -- it seems at the time i tested i had to use a thermometer with the italian which at the time i was allergic to (thermometers :) 

but you're gonna wanna try the cooked flour buttercream too -- wilton called it french buttercream back in the day -- it's not the one with yolks though -- apparently it's not good under fondant like the meringue ones are though so there's that -- 

but these buttercreams do not crust so it's a different animal to smooth them out so test first -- you can add some cornstarch to your regular buttercream to help it stand up better and reduce your liquid too --

best to you

fancypantsgoodies Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 12

WOW! That is awesome! I may have to give that a try!! :)

fancypantsgoodies Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 12

I was going nuts last night going through the swiss buttercream tutorials and recipes, and then texted my pastry chef friend this morning and she swears by italian. I like the "smooth as glass" option - are both really light and easy to work with? What are the differences between the two other than the preparation? 

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 12

Nothing to add, just want to be able to find the amartin1900 fluffy frosting recipe later.

julia1812 Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 7:07am
post #11 of 12

@Fancypantsgoodies: Very generally the difference between swiss and Italian buttercream is the process of making them. Like k8 I'm also not a fan of a sturdy stream of hot sugar and am making smbc.

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 7:26am
post #12 of 12

I have never tried IMBC.   I am an SMB gal all the way.  

Here is an awesome tutorial for SMB

http://sweetapolita.com/2011/04/swiss-meringue-buttercream-demystified/

I also recently discovered that SMB can be made without whipping the egg whites and sugar to a meringue then  adding butter.    You can make the egg white /sugar syrup and then add the butter simultaneously in a mixer and whip them together to a creamy consistency and it turns out the same as the traditional method.   You can even use carton whites which reduce yolk waste.   I found this recipe and tried it and I love it for when I am feeling LAZY.  You can also freeze the egg/sugar syrup for fast prep for future batches. 

http://thecakeblog.com/2014/06/no-meringue-swiss-buttercream-recipe.html

I am sure someone will say that not whipping the whites before adding the butter is wrong....but I SWEAR it works JUST FINE...with fresh or carton whites.  Easy peasy. 

*Last edited by mccantsbakes on 27 Aug 2015 , 7:29am

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%