Looking To Sell At A Flea Market Any Stories?

Business By karenamr95 Updated 26 Aug 2015 , 3:09am by craftybanana2

karenamr95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenamr95 Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 6

I recently started looking into selling cupcakes at a indoor flea market by me.

I am going to Do this with my Family and was wondering if anyone has ever did this

And would like to here how it went as well as if they reached a good amount of money or didnt sell at all.

There alot of people that go to this flea market and there is over 500 shops selling different things but no one does cupcakes.

I was thinking of selling a cupcake for 2.50 or maybe 3 $ and than 2 for 5 if i decided on 3. and cakepops for $1.75

Alot of the stuff there is very pricey which i know some people complain about so i want to be more reasonable but also remember that there isnt anyone who sells cupcakes around only a small cupcake shop that sells minis

also read that average attendance can be 10,000 or more but i figure when i callto talk to them more about rental that i get more accurate count

and im not sure if a kiosk or booth would be better

&im thinking of having my cake picture portfolio so they can request cakes .

as well as two display cakes one wedding and one birthday

My goal is to make 300-500 cupcakes  but not sure if its to much or little.

i have made more than that in two very small convection ovens that only had two racks when i used to work in a bakery for a event by myself which was 1000 so i know my goal should be fairly easy with my familys help.

i would like to hear your thoughts on this thank you :)

5 replies
ceeselena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceeselena Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 6

What are the health code rules? 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 6

I have not sold at flea markets but I have been to my fair share.  People go looking for bargains so you won't get top dollar from that crowd.  I would advise you to price by whole dollar amounts or making change is going to be a nightmare for you.  I think $2 is too little and $3 is probably too much for that venue.  $2.50-$2.75 is probably right but you have the change issue.  Maybe your goal should be to sell by the pair or quads - 1 for $3; 2 for $5 kinda thing. Make sure to come back and share your experience, I love reading that kind of thing!

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 6

Depends on your local laws, I can only sell at farmer's markets with my cottage food laws. Personally I wouldn't buy food at flea markets cause it's dusty and crowded. One day I'll sell at our farmer's market, when the kiddo is old enough for daycare :) Market research for that particular market would be vital, especially if they don't have air conditioning in the booth you would rent (it get's really hot here, so icing would melt really quickly unless I had air conditioning.

karenamr95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenamr95 Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 6

The flea market mall is fully  air conditioned 

also i would be the only cupcake/desert in there 

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 3:09am
post #6 of 6

I see you're in Florida too! Nice, but if you're operating under the food cottage law, you can't sell at flea markets. A local farmer's market might be your best bet though. Look for an upscale one and make sure to check out the foot traffic, you'll prob find more willing customers at a farmer's market since that's where you typically find homemade breads, pies and such. Here are a few threads where others have done farmer's markets:

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/594006/selling-cupcakes-at-farmers-market

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/678803/farmers-market-cupcakes

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/755672/noob-at-the-farmers-market-need-advice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%