Yolk Free Wedding Cake?

Baking By 1haleyj Updated 21 Aug 2015 , 11:56pm by Pastrybaglady

1haleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1haleyj Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 8

A friend of mine was told by a reputable bakery that they cannot use egg yolks in wedding cake batter because it makes the cakes too heavy to tier. I am having a knee replacement and unable to make the cake for her, but she asked me this question. I explained that dowels support the tiers and I have never heard of egg yolks in the batter making a cake too heavy to tier. Has anyone else ever heard of this? She said the cake was terribly dry and when she expressed that concern, this was the explanation!

7 replies
mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 8

That doesn't sound right.

I can see not using yolks to achieve a pure white wedding cake....but the tier aspect has nothing to do with that as you said with proper doweling the weight of yolks is negligible.  

Maybe they really like their recipe and don't want to adapt it and told her this thinking that she wouldn't ask another cake person who knows better.

OR maybe there is some egg white cake secret that I missed when stacking cakes and I am doing it all wrong :/ I happen to prefer egg yolks in my cakes

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 8

Nope. Just a baker trying to sell bad cake with an excuse...IMHO

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 8

I agree- bad baker selling a bad product with a poor made up excuse.   I had a client once tell me that a baker told her she couldn't have a Red Velvet wedding cake because it was too heavy to stack!  o.0 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 8

^^^ said by the baker who makes lousy red velvet (like me!) . LOL

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 12:43am
post #6 of 8

Allegedly, I make great red velvet cake(from what I have been told).......But I think it is SO gross.  Not just mine, all red velvet.  I just don't get what's with the big obsession that people have with red velvet cake PERIOD....it's barely even a flavor...it's wishy washy and bland.

vivelegateau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vivelegateau Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 8

Hey there! I'm new to the forums and was just poking around when I came across this post. I can't believe a bakery would tell their customer that egg yolks would make the cake too heavy to stack! I agree with everyone who said it's just a bad product.  Though I'm not against using cake mixes, perhaps this bakery does use a mix already containing powdered egg and, rather than owning up to it, fed her that line instead??

BTW: I'm no professional baker, but I actually have a white cake recipe that I'm rather proud of that doesn't use egg yolks and has a nice moist crumb. Maybe I should send it to that bakery? Haha!

*Last edited by vivelegateau on 22 Aug 2015 , 12:05am
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 8

A very creative excuse, as George Costanza said, "It's not a lie if you believe it!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%