Rolling Sugar In A Clean Uniform Leaf Shape

Sugar Work By Kerosene Updated 20 Aug 2015 , 2:47pm by -K8memphis

Kerosene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerosene Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 14

55d4d934a958c.jpeg

Hi All,

I am trying to replicate the above leaf like shape with a typical hard candy recipe heated to soft crack stage. Currently I have tried drizzling a line of liquid candy onto a silicone mat and covering it with oiled plastic sheeting. I then roll over the plastic with a rolling pin. I have also tried drizzling a triangle shape and rolling. What I end up with is random, blob shapes. About 1 out of 5 looks ok.

Any suggestions on how this can be done? Thanks

13 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 14

I'd use some kind of  a mold or silicone strips to form the outline of the shape and just pour it into that. Rolling it will be too chancey since you're going to get a lot of fails.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 1:36am
post #3 of 14

i know i've piped with it -- poured it into double parchment and used pot holders to pipe it -- and why don't you try pulling some of it -- knead it a bit and cut off bits and pull it -- i hope it doesn't happen but be prepared to get burnt  -- and i can't remember what temp to boil it to but that is critical

-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 1:37am
post #4 of 14

n. b. no tip in the piping bag just a cut tip

Kerosene Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 3:19am
post #5 of 14

I've considered laying an silicone cutout onto a silicone sheet and pouring. But the originals are as thin as 2 sheets of paper. I pour at 250 degrees to keep my citric from burning. If I pour at 250 it doesn't spread to paper thin by itself. 

I considered pulling it. When you get to this thin you have seconds until its no longer workable.

*sigh*

last night was pouring, rolling and then trimming with a knife. Time consuming and too clean cut... I like the natural look of the originals.

*Last edited by Kerosene on 20 Aug 2015 , 3:19am
-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 14

get 'em as good as you can and blow torch the edges

-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 14

and you don't need to spend a fortune but you need one of the heat lamps -- just go to Lowe's and get the bulb i know you need the red one because it's easier on the eyes -- and get the socket for it -- just a few bucks and this stretches your couple seconds into a nice workable amount of time -- you can get it paper thin no worries except watch out for getting burned

-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 14

you can cut your shape out with scissors -- sugar kept warm is very pliable

-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 1:40pm
post #10 of 14

they sell both of those at Lowes -- that's your missing link to success -- keeping your sugar pliable so you can work it -- 

Kerosene Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 2:13pm
post #11 of 14

Sounds like its worth a try. I had a thought today... if I had a material that was about the size of the shape that I wanted and I dipped one side into my pot and pulled it out, I would have a very thinly coated leaf. Might need to roll it, but maybe not. 

If it was silicone, easy as cake to remove once it cools a bit. but will it stick to silicone when I dip it?

If it was a piece of stainless steel I wonder if freezing it a few seconds would make it hard enough to remove easily.

Scissors would definitely work, but I need to make several hundred for an event. So it might take a while with scissors.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 14

are these going to be laying down unwrapped or standing up? because time chance and humidity happens to all --

yes you can dip silicone but you want to be careful to only get it only on one side -- otherwise it won't release -- dipping foil might buckle with the weight --

no you definitely need the lamp and you need to consider a little more thickness for durability although durability is a over sized word for pulled sugar

-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 2:42pm
post #13 of 14

you might want to adjust your plan to your capabilities and circumstances -- can you make several hunded suckers sure -- can you make them paper thin like that -- probably -- can you make them stand up to the climate to be a viable part of an event -- i don't know -- i try to be helpful and positive -- but this doesn't seem especially feasible esp for a novice as it seems to be presented here --

you will need a dessicant to keep them climate controlled and containerscontainers

i wish that brilliant sugar guy would get on here and advise you -- i've worked with it made my own heat box etc but i think chocolate is worlds easier and it doesn't second/third degree burn you

-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 2:47pm
post #14 of 14

what I mean is -- what plans do you have for holding and packaging because that thin they are either gonna crack wrapped up or wilt in the air

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%