Has Anyone Used A Cake Porter To Transport Their Cakes?

Business By SandraDee73 Updated 19 Aug 2015 , 11:59am by SandraDee73

SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 12

I just came across this product while browsing (read...procrastinating).

Has anyone used it? What did you think? Did it work well?

http://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Sugarworks-Porter-Insulated-Carrier/dp/B00WQUOTN6/ref=pd_sbs_21_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0510WC5SR1SSZP4AJZYT

11 replies
SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 12

Wow, I've never used that before but it seems pretty awesome. Wish they made one for 2 tiered cakes since thats what I usually deliver. 

By the looks of the reviews, seems like everyone loves it. 

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 12

It looks cool but isn't it just a plastic cardboard box with handle holes on the side?

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 12

In the area I live I can't buy boxes tall enough for a lot of my cakes so I splurged a while back & bought this.  I used it for the first time two weeks ago to deliver a wedding cake & was very happy with it.

As Snowflakebunny23 commented, it is a plastic version of corrugated cardboard.  I did initially struggle a bit in getting it together & after having it assembled I decided that it is easier (for me) to keep it assembled rather than folding it down flat again.   It is very sturdy once together & easily accommodated my three tiered cake.  

SweetShop5, you had mentioned that you wished they made ones for 2 tiered cakes.  This one will accommodate a cake up to 16" tall so unless you have crazy high tiers this would work for you.

The tote that that box fits inside is nice because it has a foil lining to further help protect the cake from light & to help to keep the cake cool.  There is a clear pocket on the top of the tote that is useful for storing any documents you may need or for me I used it for the extra branches for on the cake.

The tote has a very snug fit over the box so my suggestion is to place the box inside of it before you put the cake inside the box.   

If you have a large number of larger cakes to deliver I think this is a good investment.

SweetShop5 Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 12

@kstevens yes but isn't the base 14"? That means I would have to use a 14" board for a 2 tier cake. Most of my two tiers are 6" and 8" cakes and I use a 12" board so the cake would be sliding all over the place in that box. That's what I meant relaxed.png

SandraDee73 Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 12

@SweetShop5  , you can use a non-slip pad from the $ store :-) I use them in my cake boxes all the time.

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 12

@SweetShop5, I didn't find my cake moved around at all & I didn't have anything under it.  Granted it was on the heavy side as the tiers were 10, 8 & 6" (on a 12" board).  I think if I were to use it for a smaller cake I would do as SandraDee73 suggested & put a nonslip pad under it.

SweetShop5 Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 12

@SandraDee73  @kstevens  Thank you, that's a great idea!

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 7:59pm
post #9 of 12

I have 2 of the large and one small and they are amazing!  I don't know how I ever delivered a cake without it.  Your cake will stay cool and firm until you arrive.  I try to allow enough time to put the cake in the cake porter and put both in the fridge.  If it's humid, your cake will have much less condensation.  (you can also put moisture absorbent packs in with the cake.)  They're a little awkward to handle at first, and you can't actually lift it by the handles for heavy cakes. When I have boxed 1 tier cakes or cupcakes, I lay the large porter horizontally and pack in the boxed cakes or cupcakes.  Such a great investment! And now if you have amazon prime, you can get free shipping.  Also be sure to get the turntable extender.  

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 8:25am
post #10 of 12

How about this product?  

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 9:35am
post #11 of 12

Cake safe looks pretty awesome.  I've heard good things about it.    The clear sides probably have some pros and cons.  However it costs about 4X as much as the cake porter.  So for the same money, you could have a few cake porters.  

SandraDee73 Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 11:59am
post #12 of 12

@Shockolata  I have seen that product and thought it was pretty cool too. But that price tag? Ouch! I don't think you can use that with the SPS system either, since those plates are plastic. You'd probably need to drill holes in the centers of them to get that rod to go down the middle. Plus one thing that is really making me lean towards the cake porter is that insulated bag. My husbands SUV is kinda old and doesn't stay as cold as I'd like it to be when transporting cakes. grin.png 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%