Should I Be Catering To Kids Too At Food Fair?

Business By Natiflor09 Updated 13 Aug 2015 , 8:00pm by costumeczar

Natiflor09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natiflor09 Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 3

My first food fair is a 3 day event, supposedly labeled as "gourmet" but I'd say that's about 40% true based on most of the non gourmet vendors who will be there. It's held in an affluent neighborhood and it's portrayed as being a family friendly event. 

I'll be making cupcakes and cake pops among other desserts and I'm somewhat going for a floral garden type theme. I plan on having a few hand painted cake dummies, buttercream flower cupcakes and floral looking cake pops. H however insists that I should have Minion cake pops or cupcakes at my booth to cater to the kids who will be there persuading their parents to buy stuff for them. While that's not a bad idea and I love Minions as much as the next person, I'm a little unsure about tying them in to my display. I then thought about a few cute garden animals instead, though obviously I can see how cartoon characters would still win over a pair of birds and ladybugs.

Which brought me to another question, how much of your booth/ products would you say should be kid friendly? I'd thought certain flavors and kid sized items would be enough but now I wonder if I should be decorating certain items to interest kids as well. There will be a children's area for parents to drop them off for a bit while they browse but of  course lots of families still prefer to browse all together. 

2 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 3

How about bee cake pops and butterfly cupcakes for the little ladies?   Maybe frog cake pops and dirt cupcakes with worms for the less dainty?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 3

I wouldn't sell anything trademarked that you don't have a license to sell. Minions are everywhere, but most of them aren't being sold with a license and you can get busted if a copyright attorney with ties to Disney happens to be at this high-end event. And don't think it can't happen, because I was once having a conversation with the father of a girl who was ordering a Winnie the Pooh cake, and I told him I wouldn't do anything trademarked. He said "Good, because I'm a copyright attorney."

Keep it generic like @Pastrybaglady  suggested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%