Help! Big Fondant Mistake!!

Decorating By Krista-Marie Updated 13 Aug 2015 , 6:11pm by Shockolata

Krista-Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista-Marie Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 10:30am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone. I'm baking a wedding cake for a friend and I made three dumbies. Well figures that once I go to do the real cake something goes wrong. I made the mistake of not rolling enough fondant. It tore a bit in one spot and then it got worse and worse. This all happened last night and I became too exhausted to continue. The cake has now been sitting overnight so there's no way I can remove it and redo it at this point. I'm mainly just looking for some ideas on how to cover up big mistakes on a wedding cake.  I googled and I can't seem to find any examples of ways I can cover this up. I thought maybe with flowers. I posted a pic of the mistake.

please help!

55cb204d08f7b.jpeg

8 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 9

A big old cascade of flowers is the solution to many problems ;)

costumeczar Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 9

You could take the fondant off and redo it if you have time before the wedding, though. You wont' be able to reuse the fondant of course, but if you have more you can just re-cover the cake.

Krista-Marie Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 12:05pm
post #4 of 9

You think? I wasn't sure about removing because I'm afraid that the icing will be so stuck to the cake and the fondant that if I took the Fondant off it may also take some cake too. Maybe if I peeled off slowly. 

im thinking that's my best bet too

thank you :)

costumeczar Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 12:06pm
post #5 of 9

Nah, you can remove the fondant carefully and it might pull some icing off, but not the cake.

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 12:11pm
post #6 of 9

I would use a scalpel to cut the sides of the cake off and roll out a long ribbon of fondant and cover the sides then use a wet brush to blend the new with the old fondant. Or... if I did have enough fondant and did not want to mess the cake further, I would roll it out thinly and recover on top of the old fondant. In the past, I have used royal icing to cover cracks. There is also the possibility to cover the mistake with moulded designs. You'll think of something that will fit with the time you have left and the ingredients at hand :)

Shockolata Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 12:20am
post #7 of 9

OK, I had some mishaps with fondant tonight, due to the weather being so moody that it does not know whether it is summer or winter... So I had some small tears. What I did was take a tiny amount of fondant and place it on the crack, then use my leaf veiner (flat side) to gently spread it till it had blended and did not show. It is best if you do this after you have refrigerated the cake as the humidity will help the patch stick. Patching it up or hiding it is probably your best bet. 

Krista-Marie Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 1:44am
post #8 of 9

Just wanted to come back and say thanks for the help! I took the fondant off and redid the icing process and used new fondant. 

Attaching a picture (hopefully this one doesn't turn sideways, but I'm using my phone so it might)!

thanks again :)

55cbf6967dc97.jpeg

Shockolata Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 9

Well done! It looks gorgeous. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%