Malteasers On Wires

Decorating By Ybird Updated 16 Aug 2015 , 8:54pm by Shockolata

Ybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ybird Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 13

I am starting to make my mums birthday cake tommorow, i am attempting to do a large malteasers box with malteasers on wires in the middle.

Does any one know the best way of attaching malteasers to wires and are the wires safe to poke straight into the cake?

any help would be great 

Thankyou

12 replies
Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 13

No, you cannot poke wires straight into the cake. You need to use flower picks. The wires leak toxic substances which can cause Alzheimer's and other nasty conditions. Make sure people understand that they cannot eat the Maltesers, either. Will you please post a picture after you are done? Your cake sounds very interesting. :)

Ybird Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 13

of course thankyou for the advise. if i dont have flower pics could i wrap the wires in cling film?

Shockolata Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 13

Not advisable from what I have read. The cling film can tear and then someone may eat it by mistake. It would be safer to use a drinking straw and plug it with a thick piece of gum paste, let it dry and harden, then add fondant (from top this time) and insert your wire. You will need to make a hole for the straw to go in the cake, of course. Hope this helps.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 3:00am
post #5 of 13

I reckon you could "glue" the Malteasers on to the wires with a little melted chocolate. I still wouldn't allow them to be eaten though because they have been in contact with the wires.

and to place the wires in the cake, pop in a straw, add a little more melted chocolate and slide the wires in. The choc will hold the wires in place when it sets.

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 13

My 2 cents:

Use coffee stirers; dip one end of each in chocolate (brown, white, whatever); let the chocolate set. Then stick the stirer into the cake and put the wire in the stirer. Stirers are smaller than straws. Or maybe you can find tiny straws. I don't know how you get the wire into the Malteaser.

The coffee stirers I'm thinking of are plastic and have two holes, so you could put two wires in and bend them in different directions.

Shockolata Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 13

A Malteser is easy to pierce, @pastrypet  Will the coffee stirrer be strong enough to hold the weight of the wire and the ball of Maltesers? 

Shockolata Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 13

A Malteser is easy to pierce, @pastrypet  Will the coffee stirrer be strong enough to hold the weight of the wire and the ball of Maltesers? 

Ybird Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 13

Thankyou all for your replys and help.

The cake worked brilliantly and mum and my auntie loved it. 

like you said the malteasers were very easy to pierce onto wires and dont worry just before we cut the cake i pulled them out and threw them straight into the bin to save any temptation of eating them. 

thanks again and i will post a picture up shortly of the finished cake

Shockolata Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 7:21pm
post #10 of 13

Hi Ybird, so how did you end up supporting them on the cake? Did you use coffee stirrers, straws, picks, other method? Can't wait for the pic!

Ybird Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 13

sorry i used a drinking straw and just pushed that into the cake then made a small pin prick when i placed the icing on so i knew where to put my wires, worked perfect.

Ybird Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 13

55d0e85abdac9.jpeg

Shockolata Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 8:54pm
post #13 of 13

Beautiful piping, great composition. Well done you! :) Now where's my piece? ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%