Pls Help! How To Adapt This Recipe...?

Baking By hailinguk Updated 9 Aug 2015 , 9:28am by hailinguk

hailinguk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hailinguk Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 5

Hello,

I'm baking my sisters wedding cake for next Sunday 16th Aug.

The plan was to bake mud cakes, freeze in advance then defrost and decorate but the mud cakes I've tried are way too stodgy so have scrapped that idea. 

The only problem is that I only have Friday and Saturday now to bake and decorate as I'm working all day every day until then. 

I've tried this recipe in the past (see below) and love it but she wants lemon and chocolate on the other 2 tiers. Does anyone know how I would adapt this recipe to make it into lemon and chocolate?

Thanks in advance, I'm feeling totally stressed out!

Thanks xx

• 340g (12 oz) self raising flour
  • 280g (10 oz) caster sugar
  • 280g (10 oz) butter/marg
  • 5 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons milk

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 5

i'm no good in your metrics so until someone smart answers you -- this would work -- add the zest of one or two lemons  -- only the outer yellow part -- get a microplane if you don't already have one -- rub the zest into some granulated sugar till it's fragrant -- you could also chop it up nice & fine too if you wanted --

for the chocolate substitute cocoa powder for some of the flour -- add 1 tablespoon butter for every 3 tablespoons of cocoa that you use -- so for a cake with 5 eggs I'd want to substitute about a quarter to a third of the flour for the cocoa -- and sift it into your flour --

you gotta test these out -- the lemon is pretty straightforward but the choco you gotta test it -- you could just make a half recipe -- beat one egg to then measure out half of it so you can get the 2.5 eggs

-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 5

at this late date it's so important for you to feel in control so i hope this helps at least a little bit -- best to you! 

i posted the recipe so you have a viable one and so you can see the extra flavoring in there -- the coffee is not as important as the vanilla -- except now that i'm recalling you are UK and the recipe i think is au -- anyway -- subbing in the cocoa and increasing the butter in your tried & true formula should work -- you could add an extra dash of milk or water but it's probably not necessary --

BEST 2U!

hailinguk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hailinguk Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 9:28am
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for your replies, I don't have time to to a trial run so will just add lemon zest and then add lemon curd to the buttercream! I'll give the choc one a go and hope for the best! Thanks everyone xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%