Silicone Onlays With Buttercream And Modeling Chocolate?

Decorating By angel941985 Updated 30 Aug 2015 , 2:23pm by angel941985

angel941985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angel941985 Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 9:53am
post #1 of 5

I've been looking at the silicone onlays by marvelous molds! Has anyone here had much experience with them? I don't use fondant, only buttercream and candy clay (modeling chocolate). I'm wondering if they will work as well as advertised using them without fondant! Since the one I was looking at is $30 I'm a little hesitant to get it without knowing if it will work for me! I did ask them if it worked with modeling chocolate and they said it should, I'm just wondering if anyone here has actually tried it! I know candy clay acts a little different than fondant so I'm hoping they would transfer to chilled buttercream properly! :)

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 5

frozen buttercream and candy clay and chocolate work in silicone molds -- i've put fudge in there too -- I'm not really sure what an onlay is but it works in my molds -- and when i say frozen buttercream -- i mean use room temp of course to apply it then freeze it in the mold, keep it frozen while you peel it out onto parchment and then I re-freeze and pick it up with a spatula to place on my cake or cookie or whatever -- 

angel941985 Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks K8memphis!

These are the onlays I was talking about! I have used silicone molds with candy clay before and they work great as long as it's not a super thin design, which will sometimes crack when I 'm trying to remove it from the mold! With these since you are supposed to press them against the side of the cake I'm wondering if the candy clay will come out of the mold as easily as I'm hoping it would! :) 

I've never tried freezing buttercream in my molds before! I may have to try that!!! :) 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 5

omg -- i'm so glad i found this thread --

and the thanks goes to JACKIE for restoring the list of threads we've posted in --

there's lots of improvements that float by sort of unnoticed but are completely appreciated

but the reason is because i said you can freeze buttercream in silicone molds with good results and i should have said rolled buttercream not just any buttercream rolled buttercream -- whew now i can sleep at night 

relaxed.png

angel941985 Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 5

Lol Thanks for that explaining that K8memphis!!! :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%