Friday Night Cake Club For 7/31/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 4 Aug 2015 , 7:59pm by hep275

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 4:00am
post #1 of 27

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can!

Cat

26 replies
catlharper Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 4:05am
post #2 of 27

Hi everyone! Hope you had a wonderful week! We finally made it to the beach and it was wonderful!!! We drove back to our old home to get the stuff in storage and a few household things we'd left behind so that took up a good part of our weekend last week. This week has been spent trying to find things. This house is smaller than what we were in so we decided not to put all that was packed back into this home...this means that there are plenty of "storage" boxes along with what was in our actual storage unit and so far two boxes of clothes are still MIA. Tomorrow we get the pleasant chore of the reorganization of the garage. Fun, right? LOL! The good news is that we were able to find a fridge and a washer for hardly any money so life is coming together. My next cake is one based on Inside Out. We all loved that movie and our granddaughter is having her birthday party on the 22nd with that theme...should be a lot of fun! I'll make sure to take plenty of photos!

Hope to see lots of wonderful cakes this week!

Cat

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 6:48am
post #3 of 27

Here's my latest one, the Lakers cake I did for a friend that I absolutely hated :(

Not adding this one to the gallery as it's embarrassing! :D

Everything went wrong with it, the colour of the basketball was more pastel than I wanted, the Lakers logo failed and ended up just an L, the basket effect looked like something a 6 year old would make in playschool, the models I wanted to put on it just failed completely and had to be scrapped.

Urrgh, just......uurgh!

55bc6bbb37149.jpeg

Ah well, chalk it up to experience I guess. I've been told it tasted lovely and it was also my first marble cake as well, so that went well at least. :)

cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 10:17am
post #4 of 27

55bc9cb17e854.jpeg

An F1 racing car cake this week, the edible images all came on white backgrounds so had to cut them out which looked a bit messy. 😕

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 27

I didn't bake a thing this week. We went to the beach too @catlharper  but mostly spent my week researching, making phone calls, and making a business plan because we are starting the construction on our commercial grade kitchen very soon!!! It's all so exciting and terrifying at the same time :) oh actually I take that back we did a sheet cake last Sunday and I wasn't very happy with the turn out. It was supposed to be for a body shop (surprise thank you cake they weren't expecting it) and it ended up going to our church bc they love sweets. We are doing cupcakes for the body shop instead lol. 55bcd6e377f27.jpegI so messed up the thank you :(

catlharper Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 27

I see a theme this week of cakes that no one was quite happy with! Unfortunately I've had my share of those too. I always SO want what is in my head to turn out on the cake but sometimes it's just a big ol fail. UGH. 

@CoinUK   basketball orange is VERY hard to get right...I've come close but never really hit it. And I hate doing logos...I'd much rather use a transfer but have had to face up to that before...in our area it's the 49'rs logo which you'd think was easy but it really isn't. Fortunately no one has ever called me on it and has always seemed happy with my efforts, even if I consider them fails.

@cara1982  LOVE the race car! I'd have been terrified of the logos, even with transfer sheets, for this car! SO many tiny pieces! I've had to do that full trim thing only once and it was awful so I totally feel for you this week. However the car is wonderful!

@Webake2gether  How exciting to be building a commercial kitchen! I use to rent one locally and it was great to work in when I could. When do you think it will be completed? I love your sunflower cake and please don't feel badly about the writing...it's my personal downfall too. Just one of those things I never really got down too well...even with tons of practice. Now, with my bad hand, it is a real challenge and the primary reason I'm not doing cakes professionally...I just can't pipe really well. So, compared to mine your Thank You is just fine! 

Hope more people check in this week...I'd love to know how everyone's July ended up! Happy August! School starts this week for our 14 year old..first year of high school. He doesn't love school so the school year is usually torture...we are hoping for a better go of it this year. After two A student daughters it's a rough hoe with a D student son. But we slog through.  As of right this minute tho' he's bored out of his mind so I think the new experiences of his new school will at least help that problem. Any of you have school age kids?

Today is garage day...sigh...I'll catch back up with you when it's over!

Cat

Webake2gether Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 27

@catlharper  Thanks!! Everyone at the church loved it and can't wait for us to take orders. I can write better than that and thats what upset me most about this. Why I decided to do cursive I have no idea I know better than that. I'm practicing my writing today while my husband works on a new technique. We are doing a cake tar I have to write "Happy Birthday Jeuliyan"  on it so I have to practice practice practice :)

i have 2 school aged boys (5 and 7 1/2) and we homeschool so we are approaching the start of a new school year probably closer to September. This will be my first year doing two curriculums. Last year I did first grade and put together a pre-k plan together so it was flexible. This year we will have more structure in kindergarten and 2nd grade so that is a big change for us. But I'm excited and looking forward to it. 

Oh and we plan to open by January 2016 at the latest hopefully sooner!!! And my husband did the sunflowers :)

Webake2gether Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 27

Hope you have a great rummage sale by the way hit submit too soon!!

catlharper Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 27

@Webake2gether  "Jeuliyan" is that pronounced like Julian? That has to be the most unusual spelling I've ever seen! 

I wish you luck homeschooling! I know others who have done it very successfully. Neither my son nor I have the temperament for it. I could have homeschooled till he was in 3rd grade but after that it would have been impossible. He's very headstrong...I can't even visit the classroom without disrupting so I know he wouldn't do well here with me at home alone. But I know a few families who have had a lot of success with it so I know it works!

I wish you TONS of success in your business...this will be a rollercoaster few months ahead but it will be great once you get your clients lined up and word of mouth starts to spread!

Cat

Webake2gether Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 7:47pm
post #10 of 27

@catlharper  Yep it's Julian spelled jeuliyan. I double checked the spelling when I sent the confirmation email lol. I thought it was a typo I didn't say say that but I thought it. I thought I was really changing the spelling up with my son his name is Landin I liked the "i"more than the "o" to each their own right ;) 

so far homeschooling has been a wonderful experience with joy and tears. We have a close group of friends with homeschooled kids. So it's a good thing we got going on here. 

I'm waiting to see what @Pastrybaglady  was up to this week. She always has neat cake orders. 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 27

As thanks @Webake2gether  but August is really slow for me.  I almost had one for a red panda but there was a change in travel plans so they didn't need it anymore :(  I was really looking forward to that one!

Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 9:09pm
post #12 of 27

That's supposed to be "Aww", how come the edit button isn't working for me?

catlharper Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 10:01pm
post #13 of 27

@Webake2gether  I like unusual names but that one is going to be hard to spell for that kid. Landin rather than Landon isn't that big if a difference...looking at it you can still see that the name is pronounced the same.  But the way they spelled Julian is going to be a rough one for him. Hope he grows to appreciate it!

@Pastrybaglady  Awww...sorry to hear your month is being slow and that you didn't get the panda...that would have been fun to see! 

Well, the garage is done and I twisted my back wrong right at the end! Gotta feeling I won't be doing much the next two days. UGH. Hubby is out getting food and then it's a hot shower followed by a lie-down for me. Tomorrow is easy enough tho...our plans are to go see a movie and go hang out at a friends house. Nice and easy!

Cat

Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 10:52pm
post #14 of 27

@catlharper   Are you sure you wanna take a hot shower? My husband has a bad back and it's always ice for a strain with Ibuprofen!

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 2 Aug 2015 , 7:33am
post #15 of 27

Oh not sure what happened to my original post which I had edited because the photos I thought I had attached weren't there....  

I am new to this site - well for posting stuff anyway, but I have been stalking from the UK for a while now.  I work full time and am a new/inexperienced hobby baker who has made and fondant decorated about 6 cakes now - all for friends and family.  On Friday we had an afternoon tea to celebrate my eldest daughter graduating from Warwick University with a 2.1 in European (German) Law.  I made a chocolate Guiness cake and decorated that to look like a mortar board.  I'd intended to put a scales of justice and gavel on it but couldn't find an easy way of transferring the printed image - which was printed onto photo card - onto the fondant - trying to cut round it was a bit of a nightmare!! I'll have another go at attaching a photo!!

*Last edited by hep275 on 2 Aug 2015 , 7:40am
SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 7:40pm
post #16 of 27

Hey everyone!

I'm a little late this week, I just came back from Syracuse, NY! It was a great trip. Got to visit a few cake decorating supply stores and WOW. I stocked up on so many things since its SO cheap there.

11800288_516606881823491_8742379489083421020_n.jpg?oh=10853db352fb32291beb1c3f9c27f5e8&oe=56507E4F

Here's my work from the past week:

Elephant sugar cookies

pvPghwPPLg-elephant-sugar-cookies_900.jpg

iPhone cupcakes:

3oOW6vI1cK-iphone-cupcakes_900.jpg

catlharper Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 9:46pm
post #17 of 27

@Pastrybaglady  I iced my back first to reduce the swelling but heat has been helping since. Hot showers and a heating pad are helping me to sleep each night as it gets better...which is a good thing since I really don't have time for a pulled muscle right now. UGH.

@hep275  Welcome to the group!! I've been told that you have to attach photos from a computer, not a phone, using the icon at the top that looks like a sun over a mountain. I hope you can because we'd LOVE to see what you have done so far! Caking is so much fun and the more you do the more you learn and the progression from newbie to full fledged cake decorator happens SO fast and it's always fun to watch what everyone hear creates. Like an art show each weekend! Your chocolate Guinness cake sounds amazing! Do you have a recipe you can share? My hubby is a huge Guinness fan so this sounds like something he'd love for his b'day!

@SweetShop5  Those cookies are simply adorable! My 14 year old saw the cupcakes and is now wondering why I haven't made some for HIM! LOL! Glad you had fun shopping for cake stuff. We moved to a small town and I'm already missing my big city cake supply! The "best" place to buy here is at Michaels..ugh.

Have a great week everyone!!

Cat

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 9:48pm
post #18 of 27

@catlharper  Thank you! And ugh tell me about.. The only place for cake supplies here is Michaels as well.. I hate it!

Pastrybaglady Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 9:53pm
post #19 of 27

@catlharper     I'm glad to hear you iced first!  That's exactly what my husband does.  Ice to bring down the swelling and then heat.  Hope you're feeling better.  

hep275 Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 6:23pm
post #20 of 27

@catlharper - thanks for your reply.  I have tried another posting - with photos - and clicked on the "I'm not a robot" button but for some reason my posting hasn't appeared - is there usually a delay between clicking on submit and the post actually appearing on the forum or might it be because I'm new. - any ideas? When I have this sussed, I will put some pics of my few creations up - some I am happier with than others!!! 

hep275 Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 6:25pm
post #21 of 27

Having another go at including photos!!

hep275 Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 7:47pm
post #22 of 27

55c116c56405f.jpeg

hep275 Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 7:48pm
post #23 of 27

oh wow, I've managed to post one of my pictures......not the graduation cake though....here goes attempt 3!!

55c11783462ff.jpeg

*Last edited by hep275 on 4 Aug 2015 , 7:50pm
catlharper Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 7:51pm
post #24 of 27

@hep275  Your kitty makes me smile! SO cute! And the cap looks satiny! Lovely!

Cat

hep275 Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 7:51pm
post #25 of 27

and another view of the graduation cake....the lettering was really wonky - but I'd not realised just how bad till I saw the photos!!  In my defence, I was tired and just wanting to get it finished!!

55c117c8631be.jpeg

*Last edited by hep275 on 4 Aug 2015 , 8:01pm
hep275 Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 7:54pm
post #26 of 27

if this works it should be a couple more of the cakes I have done.....hope you like them....but happy to accept constructive feedback!!

55c118fca361f.jpeg55c118fce63e7.jpeg

*Last edited by hep275 on 4 Aug 2015 , 7:56pm
hep275 Posted 4 Aug 2015 , 7:59pm
post #27 of 27

thanks - the chocolate Guinness cake recipe I used was a Nigella Lawson one but I didn't use her cream cheese icing as it included double cream and I'm trying to be good!!  I found another recipe virtually the same as hers from the Hummingbird bakery so used their cream cheese topping as the crumb coating.  The recipe makes a lovely moist cake.  Very tasty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%