Renting A Commercial Kitchen

Business By SimplyCakesNMore Updated 9 Aug 2015 , 10:15pm by SimplyCakesNMore

SimplyCakesNMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyCakesNMore Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 3:06am
post #1 of 4

Hello Fellow Cakers!

   I have been doing lots of research and watching lots of Cake Fu videos about starting my cake business and I really, really want to become a legit, legal business.  I never thought I could do it before and have been incredibly inconsistent with everything and have really treated it more like a hobby than a business but I feel like it's time to really buckle down and do it right.  I have two little boys motivating me!  So here's my question along with a little bit of backstory.

My boys and I currently live with my mother and stepfather, who own a cat and a dog so I can not get licensed to work from my kitchen.  Tennessee Cottage Laws state that you can work from home if you have an inspected and licensed kitchen.  Since that is not possible for me (unless I were to move, but I can't for personal reasons) I wanted to look into possibly renting a commercial kitchen however the closest one to me is two hours away in Nashville and the price is ridiculous unless I were making 5-7 cakes per week, which I cannot do with a 3-month old and a nearly 2-year old.  I would LOVE to just open a storefront but I don't want to take that risk just yet.

Now the question is, has anyone on here ever began a successful and profitable business while working from a rented space?  Do you have any suggestions for how to go about doing this?  Pretty much any advice or encouragement is welcome.  I'm dying to get this done and do it right!

3 replies
SimplyCakesNMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyCakesNMore Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 4

I found a business willing to let me use their kitchen!  It's a local restaurant we go to every Sunday.  But in doing some research I found that I don't technically have to be licensed and inspected in TN as of 2012.  But I have another question, which I'll post separately in case no one sees this, but do you have to have a licensed, registered business name in order to do bridal fairs and wedding things?

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 4

I don't know about the laws in your state, but congrats on finding a place to bake - that's huge!  Make sure the terms are clear and in writing so there is  confusion.

SimplyCakesNMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyCakesNMore Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you @Pastrybaglady  !

TN law is that I can bake and sell from my home with no limit as long as my goods are labeled and I have an 8"x 11" sign signifying that my kitchen is non-inspected.  As long as I'm selling directly to my customers and not from a restaurant I'm within the legal parameters.  But a farmer's market, for example, can require me to have an inspected kitchen if they want to.  So I was wondering if all bridal fairs require it for displays and advertisement?  I plan on calling my local chamber of commerce in the morning about registering my business name and any tax things I need to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%