First Time Making Fondant Cake.

Decorating By o0ashwee0o Updated 31 Jul 2015 , 8:48pm by dkltll

o0ashwee0o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
o0ashwee0o Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 2

I'm making a cake for my son's birthday party. I have a couple questions.
 I have a fairly warm kitchen because I live upstairs. Any pointers to stop my fondant from getting messy? Would a fan work or would that dry out the fondant?
Would I be able to put the fondant on right after I ice my cake or could I slip it in the refrigerator for a few minutes?
 Also, I'm baking the cake tonight and decorating tomorrow. Any way to keep my cake fresh until I decorate? Should I let it cool and then plastic wrap it in the fridge?
Thanks in advance. I'm pretty excited. I colored my fondant last night. So far so good! 

1 reply
dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 2

I live in Florida where the heat and humidity make fondant work interesting. Yes, a fan will definitely help, turn the air down, close the windows, etc. The fan should not dry it out. I usually crumb coat my cake and put it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Put the fondant on while the cake is cold and the buttercream is hard & crusty. It will warm up as you smooth the fondant on. If you don't crumb coat tonight and you haven't trimmed the cakes then plastic wrap and left on the counter should be fine, refrigeration won't hurt it either. HTH Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%