Nervous About My First Fondant Cake

Decorating By sammie8921 Updated 31 Jul 2015 , 10:07pm by -K8memphis

sammie8921 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie8921 Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 3:53am
post #1 of 6

This is my first attempt at fondant ANYTHING and also my first 2 tier cake. It's for my nephew's birthday this Saturday. I'm nervous for a few reasons. One being that I crumb coated and refrigerated the cake Monday night. I'm concerned that it will taste "old". Also, I'm nervous about the quality of work that I did. I see many imperfections such as tears and dry, stretchy patches around the edges. My family and friends say it looks wonderful, but I think they're supposed to say that! I'm just here to find out what other cake decorators would think. Thank you in advance!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 6

were you going to post a picture? 

on one hand it seems you are in process of making it -- on the other it sounds like you've already finished it but maybe they ( your family & friends)  are just peaking at it in the meantime?

but I mean if this is all firsts and you got it all on there and in one piece bravo for trying something new -- just getting out of your comfort zone gives you a thousand amens -- if in fact it also looks good even more power to you -- and nothing wrong with a homely first or second (or any)  cake --

and yes friends & family are notorious for liking everything we do -- nothing wrong with that either --  but you already see you already see a couple booboos -- stick a little decor on it -- couple of swirls or stripes or a flower or leaf and enjoy his party!

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 6

then about refrigerating it -- if i have a cake in there for that long i wrap it like a mummy and freeze it -- yours is going to be fine if  you wrapped it up -- if you left it open to the air in there it might not be as moist as it was out of the oven but it will be fine I'm sure

(i am really enjoying our new edit capability Jackie just gave us!)

so edited to say -- congratulations on chasing off the newbie wooly boogers and biting off your first fondant two tier cake!

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 31 Jul 2015 , 5:10pm
sammie8921 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie8921 Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you!  Sorry, I've tried twice to post a picture. Let's see if it works...55bbb2535f449.jpeg

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 6

get outa here -- it looks great -- you're fine -- is it perfect? don't know can't tell doesn't really matter -- 

-- for me the kicker doing cakes was not at all how the cake looked ultimately but how the recipient looked/felt having received it and for being honored at their event -- it wasn't about me -- 

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 6

lucas is gonna love it -- aunt/uncle sammie did a wonderful cake for him

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%