Calculating Cost And Dye

Decorating By Queensweet Updated 31 Jul 2015 , 12:00pm by Kellig

Queensweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queensweet Posted 30 Jul 2015 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 6

Do any of you ever take the price of dye into consideration when calculating the costs of your cakes/cupcakes? Do you take this into consideration when setting your prices? I haven't, but I know with some of my cakes they take a lot of dye (I've been using Americolor gel) and that's pretty expensive.

5 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 30 Jul 2015 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 6

Usually the cost of the colors and flavors, if any, are added into (or absorbed by) the cost of the fondant.  Or you could include it in a "Miscellaneous Supplies" cost with paper towels and dish soap, etc.

jgifford Posted 30 Jul 2015 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 6

Sorry, you didn't mention fondant, did you?  Substitute "Buttercream".

jgifford Posted 30 Jul 2015 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 6

Well, good grief!  I did actually read your post.  Add it into the cost of whatever you're using it for, like cake batter for instance.

Queensweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queensweet Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 5:05am
post #5 of 6

Haha thanks. I just have to figure out how much I'm using then I guess so I can get an estimate.

Kellig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellig Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 12:00pm
post #6 of 6

This cake matrix is amazing! It used to be posted in the business section here on Cake central but I couldn't find it. She has a video on you tube to teach you how to use it and that is where I got this link. Initially it does take some time to set up but once you enter your prices for your product and enter the recipes you use the matrix will calculate how much it cost per recipe. You then enter other costs such as cake boards, dowels, gas, etc., and how much you want to be paid per hour and the matrix calculates how much you should charge for your cake. It even fills in an invoice for you! It is really amazing. Since I usually shop at Walmart I just go on Walmart . Com because they list their prices online. I do that once a month or so and update the cost of the products I use.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14jcBAmcs5H0wklJY4HjVpeesmPHmhNL0u5anSfk3X0Y/edit?hl=en#gid=0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%