16 X 2 Round Recipe Amounts

Baking By Gcarr38 Updated 21 Jul 2015 , 9:22am by julia1812

Gcarr38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gcarr38 Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 2:28am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone I'm new here. I'm fairly new to the whole cake thing but have baked before. I want to make my sons first birthday cake and I bought a 16 x 2 round (going to make layers). I am using the cake boss recipe Nd I've been trying to figure out like how much flour and all of the other ingredients I need to fill just one16x2 round. I read I need about 15 cups of batter is that correct? I don't know if I'm missing something but how do I know how much flour etc I need to use to get that 15 cups or whatever it may be. I see a lot of people using cake box mixes but I really want to use thus recipe thanks! Here's the recipe I'm using  .http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipe/14376_The_Cake_Boss_Vanilla_Cake/

7 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 3:26am
post #2 of 8

How many people are you feeding? That's a massive cake - and it will take a lot of experience to bake it evenly through!

To scale cakes, I just take the ratio of tge area of the pan I wish to fill compared with the area of the pan the original recipe fills and multiply the base recipe by this ratio. I know other people work in cups for each pan - but it's the same basic principle.

Gcarr38 Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 3:57am
post #3 of 8

Probably 100, I'm sure there will be left overs but it's okay. The reason I want to make it so big on the bottom is bc the second tour us going to be a Mickey Mouse head with a baseball diamond on top, so I wanna have enough space for the decorations, and bc it's my baby's 1st birthday and I am super excited!!! 😊😊😊

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 4:55am
post #4 of 8

the area of 2 8" round pans is  100.5 inches sq.  The area of 2 9" rounds is 127 inches sq.       The are of one round 16" pan is 201 inches sq.  so If you have a recipe that makes 2 8" or 9" cakes, double it for one 16" round.   HTH

Gcarr38 Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 7:47am
post #5 of 8

Ok great thanks! I wasn't sure if that would work or not! 

Gcarr38 Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 7:50am
post #6 of 8

What's should I be doing differently with baking it so it bakes evenly? Turning it every so often? Although I know you're not really supposed to open the oven much BC it affects the baking time. 

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 8:11am
post #7 of 8

I would use multiple heating cores, bake even strips, lower the oven temperature and bake it for a longer time.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%