Crumbcoat Question Pls Help:)

Decorating By Juli2527 Updated 21 Jul 2015 , 4:55pm by Juli2527

Juli2527 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juli2527 Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I am a beginner just started getting into this amazing world three months ago, and i have a question maybe a silly one! 

When you crumb coat your cakes you let them settle overnight in the fridge or on the counter? You let them rest cover in a box or uncovered? 

Thanks a lot !

4 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 5

I let them rest in the fridge for about 30 mins.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 3:25am
post #3 of 5

Settling and crumb coating are really not related.  Settling only happens at room temp (assuming you don't use a perishable filling) and is best accomplished with a bit of weight on the cake.  I use a ceramic tile.  

Crumb coating "seals" the cake so crumbs don't get in your finished frosting.  I crumb coat (on the rare occasions I bother doing it) and immediately put on the finish coat.  More likely I just use a speed icer tip and have at it.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 5:08am
post #4 of 5

I was going to say a similar thing to Leah - settling will not happen in the fridge because the icing sets up hard and that prevents any 'settling'. That being said I actually never leave time for my cake to settle as I do my cakes as follows

Little bit of icing on cake board, 1st layer on top - apply filling, add next layer then immediately use a flat item (usually an acrylic board larger than the cake) to slightly 'squish' the layer and check the level (with a small level), more filling, next cake layer, squish, check level again. Crumb coat. (Generally up until now everything is done with SMBC).

At this stage I put the cake in the fridge while I get my Ganache ready - I like to soften or whip mine depending on the effect I am going for.

I only make mine for family so don't make tonnes if them but I have never had a cake bulge on me.

Juli2527 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juli2527 Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much ladies for your replies!  I am learningso much in this forum! GOD bless you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%