Indydeb's Buttercream

Decorating By TheresaCarol Updated 21 Jul 2015 , 12:50pm by TheresaCarol

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 11:59am
post #1 of 7

Let me just say I love all of you guys.  The comments, the advice, the threads - you guys are a great group.  Thanks for taking the time to share your expertise and sometimes - disasters.  I have learned so very much.

I realize there is a search engine and believe me I have used it but when I am looking for something specific, I get close to 300 responses and after searching through the first and last hundred, I am a bit discouraged.  Is there a better way to do searches?  I am looking for IndyDeb's buttercream icing recipe.  I have typed it in the search engine several different ways and get nothing close.  Can someone help?  Is there a way to get more specific when doing a search on CC site?  Thank you for your time.

6 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 7

I am on my phone so I cannot link. But if you go to the Baking forum, presently on page 3 you will find a thread entitled, "Making Crisco Icing Taste Better" which was started by  jennifer bw.  In the thread, apti posts the recipe.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 7

Here you go - -

Indydebi’s Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing

16 Mar 2008

Posted by indydebi in Frostings

UN:F [1.9.10_1130]

please wait...

Rating: 8.9/10 (336 votes cast)

I was given this recipe over 25 years ago by a friend and it’s the only icing recipe I’ve ever used. (I actually didn’t know there were other “wedding cake icing” recipes out there!). All measurements are approximate since I’m a “until it looks right cook”. Too thin? Add more sugar. Too thick? Add more milk. Luv the flavor of vanilla? Throw lots of it in there! This icing crusts VERY well and holds up great in extreme heat and humidity (passed the “sat outdoors in 90 degrees in August humidity in Indiana for over 5 hours” test!)

Indydebi’s Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing

Ingredients

• 1-1/3 cups Cricso
    1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
    3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (*)
    2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on your personal taste
    2 lbs powdered sugar

(*) A powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods, usually found in the cake/sugar aisle in the grocery.

Instructions

There’s no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar for a minute or two, then gradually add the sugar, but the only reason I did this was to avoid the “sugar-splash” factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.

TheresaCarol Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you so very much.  I appreciate all of you! :)

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 12:20pm
post #6 of 7

When I'm looking for something on cakecentral I use Google. I type my topic and cakecentral.com

TheresaCarol Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 12:50pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks MKC, never thought about doing that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%