Baptism Cake

Decorating By lady-bonbon Updated 13 Jul 2015 , 2:57pm by SquirrellyCakes

lady-bonbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lady-bonbon Posted 12 Jul 2015 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 5

Hey guys!

I am doing a mermaid themed baptism for my niece with lots of pastel colours.. my dad always does his famous chocolate cake with dry chocolate frosting for parties, but it doesn't really go with the rest of the colours so I'm not sure how to decorate it?

I looked into covering it completely in gold, but I haven't seen any chocolate cakes covered in gold over the chocolate frosting..

Im looking into using fondant, however I have never used it before as Im scared it will ruin the taste of the cake?

Can you really taste the fondant when its covering a cake?

Are there any other options besides fondant if I would like pastel colours?

I also looked at hand painting cakes, however as usual I see that its mostly done on fondant and not actually on chocolate frosting(but if its a dry frosting it might work no?) I would like to paint flowers or something similar in gold. 

4 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 12 Jul 2015 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 5

Well you could use chocolate rolled fondant or chocolate candy clay. You can paint on these and the taste is more popular than white fondant. I don't know what you mean by a dry chocolate icing. I make a cooked chocolate icing that sets up enough for me to highlight with dry lustre dusts or lustre dusts mixed with vodka but I don't actually paint designs on it.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 12 Jul 2015 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 5

Should add that you can use the various coloured candy melts to make the candy clay. Sometimes it is called modelling chocolate. There are several recipes online.

lady-bonbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lady-bonbon Posted 13 Jul 2015 , 10:03am
post #4 of 5

Never heard of chocolate candy clay, thanks for letting me know!

Although if Im going to use fondant at all I prefer to use a white one that will match the pastel colours rather than a chocolate one.. but Ill check out the chocolate candy clay first

By dry chocolate frosting I mean that the ingredients are little butter, cacao, strong coffee and powdered sugar, I've noticed before if the cake is standing on the table waiting to be served without a dome over it then you get a bit of a crispy shell which is why I thought it could work to paint on it.. 

Thanks for the tips :)

SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Jul 2015 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 5

You could make white chocolate candy clay. There are several recipes on the internet and likely on Cake Central. It may be called modelling clay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%