Pregnant Lady Iso Icing Recipe W/o 10X Sugar

Baking By schnumvf Updated 11 Jul 2015 , 10:20pm by schnumvf

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 9

So this isn't a NEED more of a want. :)  We are packing up our house, ready to move in 3 days.  The kids are getting a little stir crazy and want to bake cupcakes.  I'm rather pregnant and who am I to argue with a cupcake request.  I haven't packed the kitchen yet, let's do it!  

Only one problem... I have no powdered sugar!! I am hanging my head in shame.  As soon as we move I will go to Sams Club and stock up.  :)  As for now though, does anyone have an icing recipe that doesn't require powdered sugar?  I know I have a few...packed in a box somewhere.  I don't really care what flavor.  Just something yummy to top a cupcake.  I have the ingredients to make a few diff flavor cupcakes so I can make whatever flavor you throw at me work. 

8 replies
craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 9

Ganache maybe? That way you don't really have to cook like with a Swiss or Italian buttercream. Ganache is simply chopped chocolate that you pour hot milk(cream) over, the exact ratio I'm not sure about. I've used Ghirdeli chips and it came out fine, but yesterday I used Nestle chips and it didn't work so much (not sure why though). Some ganache recipes do use powdered sugar, but this one is a glaze: http://www.marthastewart.com/865175/ganache.

Here's a peanut butter ganace:http://www.chow.com/recipes/12219-peanut-butterchocolate-ganache

Good luck with the kiddos and the one on the way!

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 9

Search for

Swiss meringue buttercream

Italian meringue buttercream

Cooked flour frosting aka ermine frosting

frosting recipes without powdered sugar

schnumvf Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you!  I did do a google search but was only coming up with the cooked flour frosting (which I'm not a fan of).  

One of the suggestions from y'all will work just fine though. Thank you!  :)  Now to go have a sweet tea and turn on the AC so I can turn on the oven.  :)

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 9

One package of vanilla almond bark (melted) and 2-8 oz package of cream cheese (room temperature) mixed together.  Kind of a cheesecake flavored "sort of" white grenache.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 9

*and if I could spell - - ganache.

sparkledee3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkledee3 Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 9

@jgifford- how many ounces or lbs is the package of almond bark to the cream cheese? Thanks. Any specific brand of almond bark?

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 9

Just in case you didn't consider it, if you have white granulated sugar and a food processor or blender ( or a large coffee bean grinder may also work) you can process the granulated sugar until it becomes powdered sugar. In Canada and the U.S. - corn starch is also added to our powdered sugar. The ratio is about 1 tablespoon of corn starch to 1 cup of sugar. It isn't necessary to add it but it assists in preventing clumping, helps thicken up things and enables crusting.

The one drawback of processing your own sugar to make it super fine or powdered is that after repeated use of your processor or blender to process the sugar, the plastic or glass will get scratched or etched and appear cloudy. I use my small food processor to turn my regular fine sugar to superfine for use in angel food cake recipes.

schnumvf Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 9

I had thought about just making my own powdered sugar... but I already packed the blender.  

My husband wound up coming home from work early...and I got powdered sugar.  :)  I didn't have enough butter for the meringue recipes.  I was going to try ganache but the kids wanted buttercream.  So I made a quick run to the store.  Oh well.  Now I have some ideas for the future!  Thank you so much for your replies.  

My last layer is in the oven right now.  (and I'm questioning WHY I let the kids talk me into this.  It is HOT in here!)  I cleaned out the cabinet of my half used boxes of cake.  So I made a spice/vanilla cake (extender recipe from this site).  Melted some caramels that I found in the back of the cabinet and poured it on top of each layer as they came out of the oven.  Buttercream with vanilla and caramel extract will fill it an cover it.  It won't be pretty... because I'm hotter than hot now and want nothing more than to sit myself down with a slice of cake and let my cankles return to normal.  

Thanks again.  I appreciate you helping a gal out. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%