Shiny Metallic Chocolate Covered Strawberries?

Decorating By Divaliciousy Updated 22 Jul 2015 , 8:59pm by Divaliciousy

Divaliciousy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Divaliciousy Posted 9 Jul 2015 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 17

I am curious of how do you make chocolate covered berries have a metallic shiny color?  Can you paint the mixture of vodka and corn syrup on them like it can be done on fondant to give it a shine?

16 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Jul 2015 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 17

one way would be to use real gold or silver foil

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jul 2015 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 17

but it's pricey

Dzrt-Bkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dzrt-Bkr Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 1:37am
post #4 of 17

If its a large order, 

After the chocolate on the berries has set up, depending how many, mix approximately 1/2 cup vodka with the metal luster dust of your choice. You can make it as shiny as you want by how much you mix in. Dip the strawberries in one at a time, air will evaporate the vodka so it dries. I have not used corn syrup.

You could also just use a brush and use a mix of vodka and dust and paint it on.

Divaliciousy Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 17

ooooo thank you for this info....does it affect the taste?

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 17

you want to be sure you use edible dust -- i do my berries last minute and fridge them -- there can be condensation from this but it dries off no worries -- if i was going to do a metallic gold other than the foil i mentioned i would pipe it on the whole lot of them in the boxes before or after arranging them for service -- i'd just pipe it back & forth to result in stripes - then jostle the plate if necessary to break any strands between berries

i'd use the piping gel + dust in the bag

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 17

You could also spray them with edible metallic spray [Chef Master, PME, Wilton, or Duff's] or paint them with edible metallic airbrush color.

If using luster dust, it does need to be edible.  You can find those from, to name just a few: thesugarart.com, pristinepowders.com, sugarpaste.com, The description will say edible, FDA approved.

Do NOT use any disco, pixie, or twinkle dust, as those are plastic craft glitter and not to be eaten.

Divaliciousy Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 17

YOU GUYS ROCK!  THANKS FOR YOUR VALUED INFO!

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 17

you're very welcome -- but you test this first and remember you can't make these much in advance -- I did mine the morning of the event -- as soon as you wash them the meter starts running on the leaves withering -- I wash and hand dry and dip at the same time --

actually I line large plastic tubs with paper towels and roll the washed berries in there to dry changing from one container to the next until they are as dry as that gets them -- do the next load/s then I roll each one in a towel as I dip to be sure no moisture gets in my chocolate -- and I fridge them to prolong the inevitable -- shelf life is brief 

so you want to be sure your metallic stands up to your method in advance

best to you

Divaliciousy Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 9:35pm
post #10 of 17

great advance...will definitely be referring back!  Thanks again.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 9:38pm
post #11 of 17

www.chefrubber.com

look up cocoa butter. they sell metallics.

Theresa

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 12:33pm
post #12 of 17
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 6:51pm
post #13 of 17

as always, glad to help, and even happier to be back. I have missed all of you very much, and look forward to learning all the new techniques I have missed out on during my absence (severe illness, but slowly making a comeback).

painting chocolate with vodka is not only time consuming,  but darn near impossible.  the liquid is repelled by the fat content of the chocolate, which causes beading. when dry, the remaining powder rubs off if handled. I tried painting 24K dust on the veins of chocolate autumn leaves for a friend's bridal shower, and had nothing but problems. I had to take a clay tool & texturize the veins to get it to stick. the metallic cocoa butter was not available back then.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Theresa

Divaliciousy Posted 13 Jul 2015 , 1:43pm
post #14 of 17

Welcome back Theresa and glad to hear of your recovery!

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 7:46am
post #15 of 17

Thank you so much. It has been a long, hard road, and I am still working on getting better, but in the meantime, I have heard that there are so many new things to learn, and I have been perusing through the tutorials section to find them. I have also been looking for members I knew in the past, hoping they are still around.

If anyone has any suggestions on tutorials ot techniques to research, please PM me and point me in the right direction.

Hugs - Theresa

cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 18 Jul 2015 , 6:39pm
post #16 of 17

55aa9d5e1e388.jpeg55aa9d5e556f2.jpeg

I've dipped strawberries in white chocolate and painted with edible gold paint. Worked fine 😊

Divaliciousy Posted 22 Jul 2015 , 8:59pm
post #17 of 17

Beautiful...where did you get your gold edible paint from?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%